Rather than bore you with my own additional commentary on the matter, here are some sound bites from Zac’s first interview with The Advocate where he addresses his popularity among gay fans, marriage equality, and more. Enjoy!
When did gay fans first come to your attention?
I really felt that support after High School Musical. I think the gay audience related to my character Troy, because it really was a story of embracing who you are, no matter how different you might be, and not being afraid to show it. That’s a universal theme for everyone, but it specifically resonated with the gay community, and I felt very proud of that.
In a 2008 Details profile, the writer brought up the subject of gay rumors, particularly as they related to blogger Perez Hilton’s online speculation about you. You replied, “Honestly, if the worst he can say about me is that I’m gay, then I think I’ll be fine. I can handle it.” That was a pretty cool and classy response.
Thank you. I don’t like to live in fear about things like rumors and backlash to begin with — that’s the way I was raised — but I just can’t see what’s so wrong about being gay.
The Paperboy also marks McConaughey’s first gay role. Are you interested in tackling a gay character?
I’d never take a role just for the sake of playing gay, but I’m always looking for a role that’s challenging, different, and entails some risk, so there’s no doubt in my mind that one of those characters will be gay at some point in the future. It’s always interesting to delve into unexplored territory, and that would be a new avenue for me. I definitely wouldn’t be afraid.
So what are your thoughts on marriage equality — and dudes marrying dudes?
It’s an issue that affects so many people in my life — a lot of my close friends and some of the most influential people around me. I just want them all to be happy. It would make me so happy to see them able to live their lives and do what they want to do.
Sounds like a great advocate. Thanks for the support Zac! Again, check out the full interview in The Advocate!
Zac Efron, (The ONLY twink I would ever snog) was apparently planning to have a good time the other night as he accidentially dropped a condom on the red carpet while promoting his new animated kid’s movie, The Lorax an adaptation of Dr. Seuss’ classic tale
Traffic’s really been great here at Back2Stonewall.com in 2011 and while the Political, LGBT News and LGBT History posts are very popular I guess it’s true that sex really does does sell because with exception of the clusterfuck which is known as GOProud all of the top viewed posts of the year has to do with good old fashioned BEEFCAKE. And you guys were loving you some Harry Judd from “McFly”!
Zac Efron walked the red carpet at the Deauville American Film Festival in France sporting his new beard. (As in facial hair, it’s clear that he has got his hands on some serious >beard oils) while promoting Charlie St. Cloud
* A Rand Paul staffer was caught posing as a “progressive” commenter on The Daily Kos blog to sabotage KY Democratic candidate (and extremely hot) Jack Conway. Rand Paul is s\so low that he resorts to such dirty tricks as paying people to troll the Internet to do damage to his rivals. YEP!
* Hotter than HELL UK Welsh Rugby star Gavin Henson stripped down (AGAIN) in the name of charity, posing with two huskies for Cosmopolitan magazine to help raise awareness of male cancer for Everyman. I always wanted a husky. A hot naked welsh rugby player would be cool to have, too
* Zac Efron channels James Dean on the cover of Wonderland Magazine. (Just too damn pretty for words)
* Camp Blood now features a True Blood Paper Doll series!Sure the hell beats the shit out of the outfits of “Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis” we had growing up as kids!
* 32 year old blond and bushy Ex-Coronation Street star Adam Rickitt who starred as Nick Tilsley until 2004, stripped off to front testicular cancer awareness campaign Checkum. BEST AD CAMPAIGN EVER! (And really important guys so please do CHECKUM!)
* Neil Patrick Harris may want the Press to “respect” his and boyfriend David Burtka’s privacy now that they ahve twins on the way but Neil seems to have no problem keeping talking to the press…..every day. And now OMG he might be giving up acting to be a stay-at-home Dad? GASP!
* Okay now this REALLY IS “Too Gay“. Steven Slater, the now famous (for at least 7 more minutes), Jet Blue Sky Queen attended Barry Manilow’s “Symphony” concert with the New York Pops at Caesars Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City where Slater got the VIP treatment — meeting Manilow backstage for a photo op. Slater is a “faniloe” of Manilow. (UGH….6 Minutes and counting…..)
* Was this my Zachie? A item listed at Blind Gossip states that “This tween heartthrob actor enjoys being in the limelight, but in order to stay there, he has been advised to “man up” his image. To this end, he made an appearance at a New York club, and it was reported in all the papers. Another adventure that went unreported, however, was his trip to a New York male strip club with a couple of other guys. One of the guys is his frequent co-star. The other is the heartthrob’s boyfriend, also an actor. The trio spent more money there than they did at the other club. In fact, they enjoyed themselves so much that they stayed past closing time” Hmmmmmmmm? Well Zac Efron and HSM co-star Corbin Bleu made did make rounds to the NYC strip clubs a few weeks back. Could this be them?
* 30 Dates in 30 Days? MIT Grad, Kevin Richberg, 32, is on a 30-day 30-city tour to find 30 dates and, hopefully, his soul mate. In the 70’s and early 80’s we’d call that a month full “tricking“.
*After AMC’s “Mad Men” horribly handeled, bumbled, and fumbled the “Big Gay Sal” storyline which resulted in them writing the character off show because they didn’t know what to do. This weekend “Mad Men” gave a nod to the Isle of Sappho when Peggy Olson meets a lesbian in the elevator, and takes a wild ride into a stoner loft party another universe outside the straight-laced hierarchy she works in, and finds that ahe may be more comfortable there. (Not being a lesbian…..persea) or maybe she’s just found a cool bohemian lesbian friend. Either way it was a great scene and Mad Men proves that in the mid-60’s and “thatt the times they are a changing.”
* Focus on the Family is now doing movie reviews oon the Christian Broardcastinbg Network. This week they spread the word that “Scott Pilgim saves The World” is sexually perverse and that Julia Roberts is the Anti-Christ in “Eat, Pray, Love.” It;s a scray, funny watch. But good to get the skinny on what movie theatres won;t be full of bible-thumping idiots to annoy you..
* Tom Cruise recently flagged Zac Efron down in the lobby of CAA. and used a creepy troll like pick-up line. “You ride motorcycles?” Cruise asked? (Why didn’t he just ask if he liked Gladiator movies?) Cruise then invited him out to his house, taught him how a motorcycle engine works, showed him the hangar with his dozens of pristine bikes—including the Triumphs he rode in the Mission: Impossible movies. Efron was allowed to ride a pedigree-less dirt bike. When Zac was ashed why Cruise “reached out to him” Zac replied: “I don’t know,” he says. “I don’t even want to know.Yo Cruise!Back away from my Zac you short, crazy cultist creep! (By the way your last movie SUCKED!)
* HIV Activist Jack Mackenroth (and former Project Runway contestant) won BIG this week at the Gay Games in Colonge, Germany winning 7 Gold Medals! (Love Jack. he has a nose only a scalpel could sculpt.)
* Torchwood’s creator Russell T Davies sat down and discussed some details for the fourth season of Torchwood that will be titled “Torchwood: The New World”. The events of Torchwood: TNW take place two years after the grim conclusion of of Children of Earth including the death of Captain Jack’s lover Ianto Jones. Joining Captain Jack and Gwen Cooper (Eve Myles) in TNW will be an American CIA agent named Rex Matheson (the part is not yet cast). Davies says that Matheson is an “entrance into the new story,” a way for new viewers to learn about Torchwood along with the character. Davies explains that given the fact that Torchwood was destroyed and the team broken up after CoE, Matheson will have no idea what Torchwood is since “It’s like something that ceased to exist a long time ago that’s spoken of only in whispers. It’s like a legend now.” Read more….