Only about 100 – 150 people showed up today to march in the much hyped Boston “Straight Pride Parade”. Despite the months of publicity they were out-numbered by far larger crowds of counter-protesters and a heavy police presence.
Organizers from the group Super Happy Fun America (SHFA) staged the march from Copley Square to City Hall Plaza to draw attention to the straight or heterosexual community.
However, the parade the parade and some of its featured speakers consisted mostly of Donald Trump supporters many of which have ties to far-right organizations like Resist Marxism and the Proud Boys, two groups that have been associated with violence at similar events.
Boston Pride tweeted a statement about the parade, writing in part, “It has become increasingly clear that the Straight Pride Parade is organized by a group of white supremacists and is an attempt to bait the Boston LGBT community, as well as racial and ethnic minority communities in Boston. It’s a trolling event, designed to get a rise out of vulnerable communities.”
At 7 p.m. Saturday, Boston police had arrested 34 people. Four officers were injured, and none of those injuries were considered serious.
While only a few dozen Straight Pride participants actually showed up to the clandestine event, they were met by over 200 counter-protesters who shouted them down carrying signs, with phrases like “If being gay was a choice I’d be gayer” and “This was not on my gay agenda.”
Don Grundmann, the founder of the National Straight Pride Coalition, said he’s proud of his few supporters who showed up for standing up for their right to free speech and his group’s fundamental principals.
“Masculinity, femininity, the natural family of man, woman children, babies, born and unborn western civilization, Caucasians and all people, all of those are basic foundations that are under attack,” Grundmann ranted
Max Reed a member of the Modesto Non-Violent Collective, who helped organize the counter-protest that began at Enslen Park and then left to confront Straight Pride supporters in front of Planned Parenthood said “This community is standing together to reject this group and what they represent,” Reed said. This is not what Modesto is about. We’re about inclusion and diversity and unity.”
Other counter-protesters say they hope their strong turnout sends a message to Grundmann and his Straight Pride supporters across the country.
“When people want to come into your own backyard and spread a message that you don’t agree with then you have a right to stand up against that too,” Wendy Byrd, President of the NAACP Modesto Stanislaus Branch, said.
Modesto, California city officials on Friday denied an application by the National Straight Pride Coalition shutting down the event that was set for Aug. 24.
Don Grundmann, a chiropractor and leader of the National Straight Pride Coalition who planed the anti-gay, racist event estimated that 500 people would attend said his group supports heterosexuality, Christianity and white contributions to Western civilization.
Opponents argued the rally would promote hatred of LGBTQ people and minorities.
“They are dressing up their homophobic agenda as a celebration, which mocks everything that pride is about,” he said.
City spokesman Thomas Reeves says the permit request was denied over safety concerns, because the group lost its liability insurance and the parks department determined the event wasn’t consistent with park use.
Earlier in the week at a city council meeting Grundmann, tried to make a case for holding the event and made a gaffe so bad that the entire audience broke out laughing.
“We’re a peaceful group, we wanted to have a meeting, celebration of life. We’re attacked as racists,” Grundmann said. Then he declared, “We’re a totally peaceful racist group!”
Super Happy Fun America received an email from PayPal on July 29, 2019 notifying us that our account had been permanently limited. This means that we can no longer use PayPal to collect donations. In the same manner as other corporations, they accused us of violating their “Acceptable Use Policy” without citing any violation. In fact, they didn’t even bother to fill in the space on their template. This is an act of cowardice likely designed to avoid a lawsuit by not having a reason on record. We will prove them wrong!
PayPal is just the latest corporation to cancel or suspend Super Happy Fun America’s accounts. BlueHost suspended our website. Patreon and Constant Contact both cancelled our accounts. Super Happy Fun America is a civil rights organization advocating on behalf of the straight community.
Massachusetts General Law c.272, s.98 prohibits discrimination based upon sexual orientation. Other states have similar laws. Super Happy Fun America will hold global corporations to account for their hate against our community. After Netflix attacked Super Happy America and straights two weeks ago their stock plummeted. If corporations think that they can get away with heterophobia then they better think again.
You can watch a clip of slobStraight (Far-right extremists, including the Proud Boys) Pride‘s John Hugo whining like a little man-baby about the “backlash” he has received on a segment of Watters World that of course was done on FOX News earlier this month.
* Writing in his new book Light of the World: Pope Benedict XVI , the Church and the Signs of the Times, to be released Tuesday, the pope maintains his opposition to condoms as a contraceptive, but approves of them if gay hookers slip ’em on to prevent the spread of HIV. It’s nice to know that Benny cares about his Priests
* Jeromie Cancel has been found guilty in the murder of Manhattan college student Kevin Pravia, who was strangled to death in his apartment by Cancel. The defense had implied “gay panic” as a reason for the murder. Cancel faces 25 years to life in prison at his sentencing next month. LIFE PLEASE!
* Former GLAAD president Neil Giuliano has been hired to head the San Francisco AIDS Foundation. I wish that AIDS charities directors didn’t have to make six figure salaries from organizations that depend on private donations. The problem is that the pay siphons away a disproportionate percentage of the institutes annual budget. Making big bucks off AIDS and Human Rights is so low.
* More than a year after a controversial bar raid on the 40th Anniversary of the Stonewall Riots at the Rainbow Lounge in Fort Worth, TX which sent protesters to the streets and vaulted the city into the national spotlight, city officials have dropped charges against four bar patrons including one who was critically injured by police. Thats mighty big of them. Now how about apologizing and firing the police officers involved.
* Virgin America Flight 28 on Thursday took a bit of sidetrip on Thursday so two gay men could get married. When the passengers of the flight were alerted to the happy event afterward by a flight attendant’s announcement that the pilot had wed the couple while in Canadian airspace (where gay marriage is legal), the plane burst into a round of applause. Well done!