Gay Geeks rejoice! Fans of Marvel’s X-Men series have always taken notice of the complex love/hate relationship of Professor Charles Xavier and Magneto in both the original comics/animated series as well as the live action movies. But the actors Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart’s real life bromance is anything but complicated. The two have been friends for ages, even so much that McKellen is slated to officiate Stewart’s upcoming nuptials later this year! Here’s more:
This is going to be one handsome wedding. Lord Of The Rings and X-Men star Sir Ian McKellen will be officiating friend and fellow actor Sir Patrick Stewart’s upcoming wedding.
McKellen made the announcement on the Jonathan Ross Show, a UK talk show.
“I’m going to marry Patrick,” he quipped on the show. Stewart, 71, will be marrying jazz singer Sunny Ozzell, 35, the two have been romantically linked since 2009.
While McKellen and Stewart play mutant rivals Magneto and Professor Xavier in the X-men films, the two are actually close friends. According to McKellen’s Twitter account the duo will be appearing in a number of plays together this year as well as in the upcoming, X-Men: Days Of Future Past.
McKellen also said it wasn’t the first time he’s married people. “I’ve done it once before with two guys having a civil partnership. I was crying my eyes out,” he said on the UK talk show. The Hollywood Reporter points out that in Massachusetts a friend or family member can officiate weddings for a one-time fee.
And no, McKellen will not be wearing his Gandalf robes for the wedding. Sorry geeks.
It goes without saying that McKellen was likely referring to Stewart when he mentioned having supportive friends when he talked about coming out and being an actor last year. Stewart has always been a supporter for LGBT rights so I’m speculating that he would return the favor and officiate for McKellen if he ever so chooses. What a great friendship.
Top notch comedian Ellen DeGeneres recently sat down to give a candid interview discussing how coming out is such a huge achievement:
“I was really successful, but I was really just playing a part. And then I’d go home and I’d let a little bit of me out, you know, and have a girlfriend. But the other part of the life was just trying to please everybody else. ‘Cause God forbid they find out who I really am.”
“I just was carrying around this sadness inside and the shame of the fact that I was gay. When I was like, ‘Why am I ashamed of who I am?’”
“My manager at the time said, ‘Well if you’re going to come out, why don’t we make it really interesting. Why doesn’t your character come out.’ And it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me.”
If you remember, I wrote about how Sir Ian McKellen expressed the same feelings of how much of his life got better once he came out and made his life better:
“I learned that coming out was crucial to self-esteem. And I accepted the argument that people who thrived in society’s mainstream and had access to the media could, by telling the truth, help others in the backwaters whose views were never sought and whom society either ignored or abused– These days I daily make this point to anyone who will listen because, when I eventually accepted it on the BBC, it changed my life forever for the better.
I love these stories most and that is why whenever I see them, I signal boost, or make sure it’s mentioned because people look up to these public figures. We all do. We draw from their strength, talent, and determination.
Sharing stories like these shows those still in the closet as well as those that demonize us for being gay, that there is absolutely nothing wrong with us. That if and when we’re ready to fully accept ourselves, how much more there is to gain from life.
Scissor Sisters TV presents Elvira’s Halloween Special: Watch Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, as she introduces Scissor Sisters’ feature presentation… Night Work! With special appearances from Sir Ian McKellen. Elvira also dishes the dirt on the band’s upcoming plans, including their tour next year with Lady Gaga. Happy
Best line ever: “I wouldn;t touch those guys with a 10 foot pole. Luckily they’d only touch me if I had a pole”
How true. Bwahahahahahahahahahaha
Despite intermittent heavy rainfalls on Saturday THOUSANDS lined the streets for the 20th Anniversary Manchester Gay Pride Parade led by Grand Marshall Sir Ian McKellum in the UK yesterday.
Despite the fact that the LGBT Community in the UK is currently grappling with achieving full marriage equality, the United Kingdom has surpassed the United States on EVERY LEVEL when it comes to providing LGBT American citizens the same human rights, protections and freedoms as it’s other citizens.
* 90210’er Michael Steger will be joining the cast of True Blood this season, Steger will play Tony, a gay prostitute who gets picked up by King of Mississippi Russell Edgington (Denis O’Hare) because of his resemblance to his current steady, Talbot (Theo Alexander). Steger will appear in one episode of the drama’s upcoming third season and may return on a recurring basis in season 4. One episode in Season 3? That sucks.
* John Barrowman wants his “lamp” rubbed. PICK ME!! PICK ME!!!!
* Daniel Radcliffe Daniel Radcliffe wants to look like Cristiano Ronaldo. Daniel faces shirtless scenes as a window cleaner in musical How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. A pal said: ‘Daniel wants to completely re-sculpt his body and has taken Ronaldo as his inspiration. He envies his muscle definition and is hoping to get a similar six-pack for himself. He put on a little timber last year and is keen to get down to a more svelte shape.” No need to worry Daniel. I assure you there are many eager fans out there wanting to see your “timber” no matter what state it’s in
* A gay couple are trekking across Europe this month in an attempt to find love… for their bereaved dog. (George Rekers?). DJ Juan Veny, 25, and his partner were devastated when their pooch Hanna died last Valentine’s Day, so – in a bid to alleviate their family’s heartbreak – the pair are now determined to find her widowed boyfriend, Kito, a new bitch. (Again, George Rekers?)
* Is Apple requiring magazines to censor nipples for iPad editions? “A Dazed and Confused insider revealed that the mag’s iPad edition has been nicknamed the Iran edition by the people putting it together, given the parallels between censorship in the Muslim theocracy and the iTunes store.”
* Ian McKellen offered $1 dollar after being mistaken for homeless person! But his latest performance was perhaps his most impressive yet – he was mistaken for a genuine tramp as he sat outside a theatre. The 70-year-old X-Men star was wearing his threadbare costume during a break from rehearsing for Waiting For Godot in Melbourne, Australia, when a passer-by gave him an Australian dollar.