What kind of bizarre chemical imbalance or disease prompts these sorts of outbursts from Prono Pete?
I LOVE my trans sisters and brothers, I really do. I try to include as many transgender and transsexual stories here at Back2Stonewall.com as I can. And I always do my best to to get my “terms” correct. But sometimes people slip and make mistakes and thats what happened to Neil Patrick Harris’ today while doing a guest-hosting stint on “Live With Kelly” when after taking part in an “anti-helium” Sulfur Hexafluoride gas experiment, which, distorts one’s voice to a lower register. NPH in his new lower voice said the famous “It puts the lotion in the basket” line said by “The Silence of the Lambs” villain, Buffalo Bill and after alot of banter and laughs as Harris and Ripa were walking off the gag set , Harris said, “I’ve never sounded more like a tranny in my life.”
Trans-bloggers wenr ballistic and rightfully condemned the use of the word and the comparison to the “Buffalo Bill character”
Now NPH should have know better and he probably does. It was stupid and insenstive. But it wasn’t malicious or used intentionally as a “slur”.
He also issued an apology immediately after realizing what he said and before GLAAD, an organization which should really start putting its resources into more major problems like mainstream news media outlets using hate group leaders as pundits were able to issue a statement and jump into the limelight.
It’s heartening to see a celebrity of Harris’ stature recognize and apologize for using the slur in such a timely manner, and for greater media attention being paid to its use. Many people do not realize that the word “tr*nny” is one of the most hurtful and dehumanizing slurs that transgender people hear. Most transgender people associate that word with personal experiences of violence, hatred and derision.
GLAAD is reaching out to Mr. Harris about the incident.
Why? It’s over and he apologized. Does GLAAD want a donation?
Now “Tranny” is a bad word. As well is “dyke”, “homo”, “fag”, ect. in context
But humour is subjective and frankly, we all use off color and yes, derogatory terms to get a laugh. And Trans performers are no exception,. Is everyone who uses the word “fag” or “Homo” a homophobe? If so then I’m one. Is every black American who used the word “n*****” racist? Don’t think so. Is everyone who uses the word “tranny” transphobic? No. It’s not the preferred word albeit, but it is in the end it is just a word.
Bottom line, WE (and that does includes the Trans community as well) need to pick out battles more effectively and stop cannibalizing ourselves over “words” We have bigger problems and issues that face us as a community and as a family.
I love my trans-family. But lets not use an issue like this to drive a wedge win the community when we should be battling those who say and do far worse against us.
Originally conceived as an “online miniseries event” during the 2008 writers’ strike, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog is a 42-minute musical tragicomedy miniseries in three acts, produced exclusively for Internet distribution starring Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion, Felicia Day and created and directed by Joss Whedon of “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” fame.
The story in a nutshell:
Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) stars as Billy, A.K.A. Dr. Horrible, a budding super-villain whose plans for world domination continually go awry. His two goals: getting accepted into the Evil League of Evil, and working up the guts to speak to his laundromat crush Penny, played by Felicia Day (The Guild). The only thing standing in his way is Captain Hammer, Billy’s superhero arch-nemesis played by Nathan Fillion (Firefly). With one big score, Billy could get into the E.L.E. and earn the respect of Penny, but only if he can keep her away from the dashing Captain Hammer…but what price will Billy pay for evil fame?
Millions have viewed and love Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog and now we finally have Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog: The Book by Joss Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jed Whedon, and Zack Whedon
DHSB: The Book has the full script, exclusive new material from Joss and the production team, new photos, sheet music and more, this official book is a must for fans! , and a “roundtable” interview with the principals on the making of the project. It also includes an Afterward by the star, Neil Patrick Harris, who says plainly, “Dr. Horrible is the single best thing that I’ve ever done.”
Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog: The Book is currently on sale at Amazon.com for $13.57 marked down from $19.95 (-$6.38 -32%)
The Digital download of Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog is also available.
*Just click on the picture above left and order and B2S.com will earn a small commission on each order that will hopefully help us get to NetRoots Nation in June.
Over the past week we’ve not only had to put up with Richard Chamberlain telling gay actors to stay in the closet, Kevin Spacey calling people who want him to come out “bullies”, Rupert Everett’s incessant whining about why no one will hire him because he’s gay. (Not that his rumoured drug problem, boorish behavior, and the fact that he’s burned more bridges than the Allied forces in WWII has anything to do with it.) and the return of hack writer Ramin Setoodeh — who famously declared that openly gay actors are not convincing in straight roles. All of it is BULLSHIT and all of it just feeds the fire of intolerance and does not expose it.
There are many reasons why openly gay actors aren’t cast in gay roles. One being that there aren’t many of them who are actually “out” and the second being that many don’t want to be cast in gay roles because they are afraid they’ll be pigeonholed and will only be cast in gay roles. Except for Rupert of course who will take any work that he can get.
Then we have the Sean Hayes argument that gay men can’t play straight. Well I am sorry to say this but some can’t. Not because they are gay but because they are lousy actors and anyone who saw “Promises, Promises” or any clips from it has to admit that in Hayes case it was definitely the later. He couldn’t convincingly play straight. Christen Chenowirth was butcher than he was. And there have been plenty of gay men in the past who have played straight roles it’s just that nobody knew it because they were hiding in the closet due to fear. And there are openly gay men playing straight. Let us not forget that Neil Patrick Harris playing straight horndog Barney on How I met Your Mother and no one is gayer than NPH! So it can be done…..if you actually have talent that is.
And as for Richard Chamberlain and his “Gay actors stay in the closet like I did until your career is dead and you can’t get any roles like I did” advice/ Here’s some news for you Dick. It was a much different time when you were BIG in Hollywood, and yes then there probably would have been a problem if you walked the red carpet with another man but guess what? Everyone knew you were a HOMO anyway! Just like people knew Rock Hudson, Liberace, Jim Nabors, James Whale, Colin Clive, and Randolph Scott among many others back in the day were gay, People did know they just didn’t talk about it. But it is a different time, a different CENTURY and as long as this fear is perpetuated in Hollywood not by the casting directors, producers the studios but by the closeted and in one case, a bitter out gay actor it will never get any better.
*This post is dedicated to CineMatt01
* Fuck Tiger Woods. Colombian golfer Camilo Villegas brings sexy back to Golf. Wait was it ever sexy? Anyway Camillo poses nude for ‘body issue’ of ESPN magazine. Erotic? Weird? You decide
* Chile’s Channel 13/Canal 13, where Glee airs, is known also by its full corporate name, Corporación de Televisión de la Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, and is heavily influenced by the Church and so it has DEGAYED “GLEE”! (Actually the Church OWNS the Network, which it is selling now, Were they afraid of Sue Sylvester? ) I know that you think that means the episodes would be only 20 seconds long. So far the biggest change is “Rachel doesn’t speak about her “dads.” She speaks ins Spanish about her “dad.” This channel is totally anti-gay rights. So Glee is in part giving this channel lots of ratings and credibility” Hmmmm whats going to happen when they catch up to the episodes with Brittany and Santana’s scissoring?
* James Cameron and Angelina Jolie rumored to bring their version of Cleopatra to the big screen.. What the hell is this the white version of “Dreamgirls”? Cleo was only 21 when she meat Julius Caesar. Angies adopted kids are almost that old now.
* Laura Bush says that “Supporting Marriage Equality was not her responsibility”. But supporting a lying, inept, law breaking, sack of shit President was I suppose. Just keep telling yourself that Laura. (I always hated you anyway BITCH)
* A woman claims that she was propositioned by Christina Aguilera at a popular gay bar in LA. Back in May, Aguilera told Out Magazine that, while she finds women attractive, there’s one thing she can’t live without: “My husband knows that I get into girls. I think it’s fun to be open and play. The line is real to me. My husband and I check in with each other, but I definitely love women. I think they’re more attractive to the naked eye. I don’t think I could ever really be with a woman…And you know, I love dick. To be honest, that I cannot live without.”
* James Franco to play Robert Mapplethorpe? James you told me you were STR8!
* Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka Welcome Twins! BIG SHIT. I like Neil alot but the over saturation is beginning to hit it. Besides more “gaybies”? Please. This headline would ahve been better if it read. “Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka Buy Well Hung Sex Slaves!”
* Neil Patrick Harris may want the Press to “respect” his and boyfriend David Burtka’s privacy now that they ahve twins on the way but Neil seems to have no problem keeping talking to the press…..every day. And now OMG he might be giving up acting to be a stay-at-home Dad? GASP!
* Okay now this REALLY IS “Too Gay“. Steven Slater, the now famous (for at least 7 more minutes), Jet Blue Sky Queen attended Barry Manilow’s “Symphony” concert with the New York Pops at Caesars Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City where Slater got the VIP treatment — meeting Manilow backstage for a photo op. Slater is a “faniloe” of Manilow. (UGH….6 Minutes and counting…..)
* Was this my Zachie? A item listed at Blind Gossip states that “This tween heartthrob actor enjoys being in the limelight, but in order to stay there, he has been advised to “man up” his image. To this end, he made an appearance at a New York club, and it was reported in all the papers. Another adventure that went unreported, however, was his trip to a New York male strip club with a couple of other guys. One of the guys is his frequent co-star. The other is the heartthrob’s boyfriend, also an actor. The trio spent more money there than they did at the other club. In fact, they enjoyed themselves so much that they stayed past closing time” Hmmmmmmmm? Well Zac Efron and HSM co-star Corbin Bleu made did make rounds to the NYC strip clubs a few weeks back. Could this be them?
* 30 Dates in 30 Days? MIT Grad, Kevin Richberg, 32, is on a 30-day 30-city tour to find 30 dates and, hopefully, his soul mate. In the 70’s and early 80’s we’d call that a month full “tricking“.
*After AMC’s “Mad Men” horribly handeled, bumbled, and fumbled the “Big Gay Sal” storyline which resulted in them writing the character off show because they didn’t know what to do. This weekend “Mad Men” gave a nod to the Isle of Sappho when Peggy Olson meets a lesbian in the elevator, and takes a wild ride into a stoner loft party another universe outside the straight-laced hierarchy she works in, and finds that ahe may be more comfortable there. (Not being a lesbian…..persea) or maybe she’s just found a cool bohemian lesbian friend. Either way it was a great scene and Mad Men proves that in the mid-60’s and “thatt the times they are a changing.”
* Focus on the Family is now doing movie reviews oon the Christian Broardcastinbg Network. This week they spread the word that “Scott Pilgim saves The World” is sexually perverse and that Julia Roberts is the Anti-Christ in “Eat, Pray, Love.” It;s a scray, funny watch. But good to get the skinny on what movie theatres won;t be full of bible-thumping idiots to annoy you..
* Why won’t Mitch and Cam kiss? Because you have two crazy homo writers on the show who can’t make up thier fraking minds.
* Neil Patrick Harris has a cock! Well actually a rooster Silly Bandz he wears on hsi wrist. (You dirty minded people!)
* The Tea Party Diversity Rally actually attracted gay teabaggers. TWO OF THEM! (Who will soon have thier gay cards taken away and shredded.)
* India will manufacture the first ever ULTRA LUBED Gay Condom. (Insert Joke Here)
* Lady Gaga’s talks vagina with Vanity Fair. (Insert Joke Here……again)
* FOX News beat out NPR and Bloomberg for Helen Thomas’ now empty front row seat in the White House press room: (Good move there White House. Perhaps you’ll let Robert Gibbs give your enemy a blowjob while tyhey sit there.)
* Watch: Scissor Sisters Breaking News feature with appearances by Jane Fonda, Kylie Minogue, Juliette Lewis and Amanda Lepore
Mr. Schuester’s high school nemesis (Neil Patrick Harris) causes trouble for the glee club; Rachel struggles with a personal issue; Artie goes on an adventure in his dreams
WOW! Colour me surprised!
Neil Patrick Harris is the winner of AfterElton..com’s “Gay/Bisexual Man of the Decade”.
Now no ofense to Doogie I mean I LOVE NPH, he’s cute and a great gay and all but c’mon he’s only been OUT since late 2006. (And we was pushed out at that.)
John Barrowman on the other hand has been PUT and PROUD for far over a Decade and to this end, Barrowman is active in his community supporting the issues that matter to him most. He worked with Stonewall, a gay rights organization in the UK, on the “Education for All” campaign against homophobia in the schools. In April 2008, the group placed posters on 600 billboards that read, “Some people are gay. Get over it!” Barrowman contributed his support to the project asking people to join him and “Help exterminate homophobia. Be bold. Be brave. Be a buddy, not a bully.” In the same month, Barrowman spoke at the Oxford Union about his career, the entertainment industry, and gay rights issues; The event was filmed for the BBC programme The Making Of Me, in an episode exploring the science of homosexuality.
Whatever I suppose, AfterElton.com is a U.S. site with a much larger internet audience in the United States and where its really only a stupid website title John Barrowman really should have won his LGBT Activism alone over the past decade.
Oh well, congrats anyway Doogie.
And John, if you are reading this. You will ALWAYS be Back2Stonewall.com’s – “Gay Man of the Decade” regardless.
(P.S. Call me……or post a message here. LOL)