Championed by the Surrey RCMP Youth Unit, 20 lesbian and gay Royal canadian Mounties taped interviews for this video in the summer of 2012. The video was finalized, by BC RCMP Multi-media services in the fall of 2012.
Very moving with very personal touching moments. I hope these videos make any sort of difference, one LGBT child saved would be worth it!
MTV (and Logo) will be showing an all new, 60-minute IT GETS BETTER Special special tonight, October 9th at 11 p.m. ET/PT, just two days ahead of National Coming Out Day.
In the less than two years, since the It Gets Better Project started it has turned into a worldwide movement, inspiring more than 50,000 user-created videos viewed more than 50 million times. To date, the project has received submissions from celebrities, organizations, activists, politicians and media personalities, including President Barack Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Adam Lambert, Anne Hathaway, Colin Farrell, Matthew Morrison of “Glee”, Joe Jonas, Joel Madden, Ke$ha, Sarah Silverman, Tim Gunn, Ellen Degeneres, Suze Orman, the staffs of The Gap, Google, Facebook, Pixar, the Broadway community, and many more.
The awesome and out spoken Dan Savage, columnist, gay activist, and co-creator of the It Gets Better Project, will once again anchor the special, which will share stories and experiences of young people who are growing up LGBT.
The first “It Gets Special” special premiered on MTV and Logo on Feb. 21, 2012 and can still be viewed on MTV.com.
The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Board of Governors has voted to bestow its prestigious Governors Award this year to Dan Savage’s “It Gets Better Project,” which was created in response to the rash of suicides of teenagers who were bullied because they were gay or because their peers suspected that they were gay, in an nnouncement made by Television Academy Chairman and CEO Bruce Rosenblum.
“The It Gets Better Project is a great example of strategically, creatively and powerfully utilizing the media to educate and inspire,” said Rosenblum. “This is television moving well beyond the traditional physical set in the viewer’s living room to the intimacy of the monitor, laptop, tablet or mobile device and delivering the ideal mix of inspiration and creativity to affect awareness and, ultimately, change. The Academy is proud to celebrate the success the Project is already having on LGBT youth and, hopefully, to drive more visibility for this important cause.”
The “It Gets Better Project” has become a worldwide movement, inspiring more than 50,000 user-creating videos with messages of hope to bullied LGBT teens . To date, the project has received submissions from celebrities, organizations, activists, politicians and media personalities, including President Barack Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Adam Lambert, Anne Hathaway, Colin Farrell, Matthew Morrison, Joe Jonas, Joel Madden, Ke$ha, Sarah Silverman, Tim Gunn, Ellen DeGeneres, Suze Orman, the staffs of The Gap, Google, Facebook, Pixar, the Broadway community, and many more.
The award will be presented to the “It Gets Better Project” co-founders Dan Savage and Terry Miller during the 2012 Creative Arts Emmy® Awards on Saturday, September 15th, at NOKIA Theatre. The organization’s “It Gets Better” MTV special is also nominated this year for an Emmy® in the Outstanding Children’s Nonfiction, Reality or Reality-Competition Program category. The winner in this category will be announced at the same ceremony.
NOM has launched a letter campaign to President Obama demanding that he denounce the It Gets Better Campaign claiming that Dan Savage is the “national leader” of the marriage equality movement that uses the “bully pulpit”
I am grateful for the White House’s emphasis on creating a safe and civil school environment for children of all ethnic, social and religious backgrounds. This is a goal that we all can share. But I was appalled by the hostile anti-Christian rant recently unleashed at a Southern California high school by Dan Savage, founder of the “It Gets Better” campaign. I see that Savage’s “It Gets Better” campaign is prominently recognized on the White House website as a model for anti-bullying programs across the nation. Is this truly the sort of example that your administration wants to hold up for a model to the nation? It got so bad as Savage cursed the Bible that a number of students quietly got up and walked out of the auditorium. This isn’t the sort of “bully pulpit” our nation needs. I urge you to publicly disavow Dan Savage, making it clear that your administration does not support this sort of bullying, and that respect and civility extend to people of all backgrounds and beliefs.
Oh NOM, NOM, NOM will your bullshit ever stop?
After years of spreading anti-gay propaganda and lies, hiding donors names after ledally being told to release them and the discovery of your race baiting plans to cause strife between the black community and the gay community hardly pout you in the position to demand anything.
POTUS doesn’t respond to outbursts from the KKK, the American Nazi Party or the Black Panthers, other than to denounce them. So why the hell should they respond to you.
The Understanding Same-Gender Attraction (USGA), group at Brigham Young University describes itself as a group that provides “a place for open, respectful discussions on the topic of same-gender attraction.”
Today the group released a heartbreaking “It Get’s Better” video made by the lesbian and gay students from the Mormon and very anti-gay BYU.
But whats heartbreaking about it is not the “message of hope” that bearly shines through in this video as in most “It Get’s Better” videos. But the pain and suffering that comes through and that you can hear in these college kids voices and they try to send a message of hope to others while they also try to convince themseleves that theres a place for themselves in a “religion” and at a school which blatantly hates them.
The Denver Broncos have responded to a Changel.org petition signed by more than 8,000 people asking them to create an ‘It Gets Better’ video and more specifically asking that “Christian” football star Tim Teabagger Tebow star in it by saying NO.
Broncos spokesman Patrick Smyth in a statement to The Huffington Post:
The Denver Broncos are committed to tolerance, acceptance and respect for all in the community,” said Smyth. “The National Football League is currently working with USA Network on its ‘Characters Unite’ campaign combating prejudice and intolerance, and our organization is in full support of that movement to help raise awareness for this very important cause.”
I guess LGBT teen suicide just isn’t as important to the Bronco’s
Surprisingly The Denver Bronco’s had nothing to say and no problem allowing Tebow last year to produce and star in a Super Bowl ad for anti-gay, anti-abortion group Focus on the Family.
Why would we expect Tebow to care about gay teens or their persecution any more than members of NOM, AFA, or Westboro Church? He is far from the role model that mainstream America makes him out to be except perhaps a role model of “extremist Christianity”
The Denver Bronco’s on the other hand is a different story
* Democratic National Committee’s NEW Faith Outreach Director Opposses Same Sex Marriage. Good going there DNC and then you wonder why so many in the LGBT Community have issues fully supporting you. IDIOTS. – Pam’s House Blend
* Republican Congressman Trent Franks of Arizona Thinks That Straights Should Have MORE Special Rights Because Same Sex Marriage Threatens America! – The New Civil Rights
* National Organization for Marriage watchdog Jeremy Hooper BUSTS NOM’s use of fraudulent photos and looks At This Week in NOM (Oct. 23 – Oct. 29 ) – ( NOTE: If Jeremy Hooper doesn’t get a Blogger of the Year Award I am going to go ballistic. He truly deserves it!) – Good As You
* Twitter’s own @CitizenWilliams talks about Canada’s ruling, anti-gay right-wing Conservative Party and it’s It Gets Better Video dedicated to the memory of bullied gay Ottawa teen Jamie Hubley who committed suicide earlier this month which raised eyebrows all across Canada – GAZE Magazine
* Danish veteran LGBT activist Axel Axgil founder of the worlds oldest LGBT organisation and the very first in the world to legally marry his gay partner in 1989 has passed away at 96. – Daily Kos
* Beating Of Ohio Gay Teen Caught On Video – The mother of the 15-year-old gay student is seeking retaliation against the bully who beat her son while bystanders stood by and did nothing but record the abuse – On Top Magazine and ABC News
* Rick Perry says “Repeal Gay Marriage in New Hampshire”. I say STFU Pick Perry! – The Concord Monitor
* The Fight Turns Dirty To Win The Gay Vote In San Francisco Mayor’s Race – Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow! – SF Gate
* Gay Marriage Opponents Want An Apology From Gov. Andrew Cuomo. (And I want to be Ben Cohen’s power-bottom, both are very unlikely to happen.)The Advocate
* On FX’s American Horror Story we finally meet the dead gay decorator in a flashback to 2010 … One of whom is newly OUT but NOT NEWLY Gay ZACHARY QUINTO and leads to the some of the best lines ever uttered on television: “You’re screwing that twink trainer of yours, and I need gourds!” Then there’s a mentions of power bottoms, “Hallowqueens,” Virgina Woolfe and a La Roux reference. Just in case there was any lingering doubt that the last murder house inhabitants were the EXTRA GAY type of gays. Below is a clip from near the end of American Horror Story – Episode 5: Halloween Part 1