Gay History: NYC 1979 - 1985: An Oral History of the Infamous Saint Marks Baths by Paul Lewis

Gay History: NYC 1979 – 1985 An Oral History of the Infamous Saint Marks Baths by Paul Lewis

erotic art

The notorious St. Mark’s Baths was … a place of such debauchery someone once described it as “Gomorrah the way it shoulda been.”— Andrei Codrescu, The Villager

Long ago and far away, during the age of runaway hedonism that was the mid- to late-1970s, Americans were experimenting more and more with their sexual freedom.  Heterosexual Americans, that is.  The age of orange shag carpeting and chocolate brown/white plaid sofas was also the age of swingers’ parties; stuff like putting each others’ hotel keys in a basket and pairing up that way.  The age of silk shirts, polyester everything, platform shoes, enormously wide ties and sport coat lapels that were bigger than a stealth fighter’s wings was also the age that brought us Burt Reynolds on the pages of Cosmopolitan Magazine, naked as the day he was born, (but with a hand covering his juicy bits).  And disco thumped and bumped its way onto the airwaves and into the nightclubs.

Now, if the straight Americans could do it; post-Stonewall gay Americans could do it; BETTER.

Shortly after earning my undergraduate degree, I was privileged to be offered a job with a company which owned restaurants and night clubs. Far from the monotony of corporate life that I’d imagined I would have to endure for years until I could accomplish something exciting or creative, I was plunged head-first into a fantasy world. One where most people didn’t wake up until 8 or 9 o’clock at night, and didn’t go out before midnight. And we stayed out. Sometimes for days at a time.

Now, the post-Stonewall Riots gay scene in New York was plagued by a caste system. For an outsider looking in (with a modicum of curiosity) it appeared as if races were separated quite thoroughly, and that no matter what race one was, there was a certain “glass ceiling,” if you will, that a gay man would hit; and because of his job, finances, or lack of connections could not break through. For instance, any Joe could walk into a Christopher Street bar, put $1.50 on the counter and get a Budweiser. But when it came to the places for the social elite and financially well-endowed, notoriously exclusive clubs like 12 West and The Saint were selectively admitting clientele long before Steve Rubell started “picking” people to pass the velvet rope at Studio 54.

The after-hours clubs (which opened at 4:00 in the morning or just before) were not quite as picky, but if you didn’t have a half-ounce of cocaine, some sort of celebrity status, or connections to either other popular venues or the mafia, there was no way you were going to be able to enjoy the no-holds-barred partying within the clubs’ exclusive VIP rooms.

Now, by 10:00 in the morning or thereabouts, the music had usually stopped at the after-hours joints and everyone left wanted to go home, usually with somebody. Sure, there was plenty of pairing up and leaving the early clubs, the late clubs, and the after hours clubs. But show me a guy and I’ll show you a person who’s had at least one dream about fucking for hours at a time. Well, someone once said something like “if you can think it; it’s probably already been done.”

Imagine non-stop sex with myriad attractive strangers for as long as you can stay awake.

Bette Midler got her start singing at a joint called The Continental Baths in New York City. Her accompanist was a young Barry Manilow, who played the piano in his birthday suit, a towel, and nothing else. The Continental was one of a gaggle of places where, for a fee, a guy could walk in, check his clothes, wrap a towel around his waist (or not) and find the companionship of like-minded guys in dark corners (or not-so-dark-corners, if that was your bag).

My colleagues had tried over and over again to get me to accompany them on a “trip to the ‘tubs'” but I’d refused. An invitation came one evening after I’d introduced them to an extremely good-looking young friend from out-of-town who was all wide-eyed and naive about everything. So after a trip to Studio 54 and the notorious, warehouse-sized after hours dance club Crisco Disco, we both relented and went along for the trip.

If you build it, they will come.

Bathhouses, up until about 1975, were filthy, dark, bleak places, I am told. This all changed when gay entrepreneurs Billy Nachman and Bruce Mailman, the creators of the most exclusive gay disco in town (The Saint – in the old Fillmore East theater building) decided to come up with the ultimate bathhouse. Millions (literally) of dollars were spent turning No. 6 Saint Mark’s Place in Greenwich Village into a bathhouse with, for lack of a better term, class. Maybe chic-appeal is more like it.

The Great Equalizer

Now let’s return for a moment to what I said herein above about the gay male caste system during this period of time. Now imagine having to put one’s Rolex watch away in a safe, remove the $400 Halston jeans and $75 Izod Lacoste polo shirt. You couldn’t even keep your Calvin Klein underwear on. And there was no “velvet rope” at the door, either. Well-sculpted body builders in line behind fellows who were 5’11” and probably 90 pounds soaking wet. The cream of the male-modeling crop mixed together with bi-curious construction workers from New Jersey. Artists and Art Dealers rubbed elbows (clad in nothing but a towel around the waist) with elementary school art teachers. You get the idea. Suddenly everyone was just himself, unveiled but for the same modest swath of white terry-cloth, and could hide behind no status symbol nor wealth to get what he wanted. One’s ability to make out well (literally) was based on one’s looks, charm, and upon chance. (The odds were based on three floors’ worth of “hunting” space and how many men happened to be there at the time.) The chance that one would meet “Mr. Right.” (Or, for some, Mr. Right No. 1, Mr. Right No. 2, Mr. Right No. 3, and so forth.)

On the main floor, money was paid and valuables safely stored in signed, sealed envelopes for safekeeping. A key was handed out (to a locker if one had $10, to an actual private room if one had $20-50; dependent upon the size of the bed). And off one went, into Never-Never land.

The first floor contained locker rooms, showers, and, of all things, a diner (with seating on both sides; serving those waiting in line to enter, and those who’d already paid their fee and were towel-clad). The basement contained a swimming pool, more showers, an enormous jacuzzi, and a large, darkened room with a vinyl-covered mattress that must’ve been 40′ x 40′ where all manner of groping was going on. The upstairs three floors contained the hallways and the rooms. Hundreds of rooms. Seemingly miles of hallways. Yes, this place was, indeed, big enough to get lost in.

So what happened that night?

My friend and I secured a room and went out on the prowl, after drinking deeply out of the quart of peppermint schnapps that we’d brought along for courage’s sake. Before I knew it, I found myself without my friend, roaming the halls. Some of the room doors were open, the occupants smiling and beckoning, some of them fondling a favorite sex toy. Others merely lay face down, ass-up. It was like a visit to a surrealistic gallery of nearly every gay male fetish imaginable, all on a canvas of black walls, black ceilings, black carpeting, and low, amber lighting. These people were performance artists and they didn’t even know it.

By the time I found my friend, he’d found the jacuzzi. He got out and his usual well-tanned body was still tanned, but pink from head to toe. He was annoyed that “those dudes in there” kept grabbing at his dick and he couldn’t relax. I explained curtly, “relaxation of the type you seek is not pursued in this jacuzzi, I’d hazard a guess.” We hung out together for the rest of the night, and met:

  • A top fashion/art photographer and protege of Andy Warhol,
  • The photographer’s incredibly wealthy trust fund-baby boyfriend,
  • A tractor-trailer driver who wore a wedding ring,
  • A man who offered us piles of very, very good cocaine — we did some and then left when he said it was time to “come to daddy,” even though he said there was lots more coke at his antiqueshop on Madison Avenue and his opulent apartment on Sutton Place,
  • An aging (35-ish) player in the gay porn business who wanted to sodomize my friend but my friend said “not with that you’re not!”
  • A friendly young college student whom my friend said gave him the best fellatio he’d ever enjoyed in his life,
  • A self-proclaimed “famous welterweight boxer” (obviously crashing from a coke binge) who assured us he was “straight” (as he exposed the largest male member I’ve ever seen in the flesh) and that he was just there “for the money” and would “fuck y’all all night for $50”,
  • A young man who said he was a farm-team baseball player, and
  • A comedian who’d played the major New York night spots as well as Vegas, and had done a little television.

So did they live happily ever after?

Nope. Not at all. The scope of this writeup is merely to invite the un-initiated into one of the unique facets of the pre-AIDS age of decadence in the post-Stonewall age of gay tolerance and liberation. We all know that in fact, they did not live happily ever after. This writeup is not here to blame the bath houses nor the promiscuous for the spread of AIDS; it was only by 1981 that hushed rumors began to spread around the gay community about “gay cancer” and myriad more rumors about what caused it (amyl nitrate or “poppers,” sex with foreigners, sex with animals, anal sex, fecal/urine fetishes, and the list goes on and on). An ironic aside: the man who got us acid and pot for that evening’s club-going and bath house visit was a famous drug vendor who peddled out of an apartment in a building he owned, who one day (about a year or two after our bath house visit) announced “I have gay cancer!” His tone was as if it was a status symbol, somehow. Perhaps he thought that resources like his popularity and financial status could solve the problem of curing him. Tell that to Rock Hudson.

By 1982, the number of gay men dying of the mysterious, treatment-resistant disease started tallying up extremely rapidly. And there was plenty of hypothesizing going on that the disease was communicated sexually. Amazingly, there were still gay men going to the St. Marks and some of the other bath houses in New York City. They paid no heed to, or were ignorant of, up-to-date information about the communicability of the disease being disseminated by brand-new groups such as the GMHC (The Gay Mens’ Health Crisis). One by one, like victims-by-proxy of the disease, the bath houses themselves closed up, until the only one left was the well-capitalized and well-connected St. Marks. Finally, the City decided to step in and take matters into its own hands (no, theydidn’t offer hand-jobs to prospective bath clientele). They successfully enjoined the St. Marks from conducting a business which included lockable rooms behind the doors of which un-inspected “high-risk” sexual conduct could occur. In 1986 the Court closed the St. Marks for a period of one year and fined the owners $29,000. The Court further prohibited the owners from maintaining private rooms which were uninspectable and in which such conduct could occur.

The St. Marks’s ownership appealed. Given the uniqueness of what was going on, and the fact that what once was considered mere lewd and immoral behavior was now pretty much agreed to be arguably fatal in many cases, there was little in the way of legal precedent that the defendants could build a good legal argument upon. In fact, the mainstay of their appeal, People v. Onofre, (51 N.Y.2d 476, cert denied, 451 U.S. 987), had nothing to do with a commercial enterprise nor with the potential for hundreds, if not thousands, of individuals to patronize that commercial enterprise in a given month.

The case finally made it to the New York High (Appellate) Court, which ruled that a) that the administrative order which closed the St. Marks Baths (139 A.D.2d 977) was affirmed, b) the costs and fees imposed by the Court in the matter City of New York v New St. Mark’s Baths,130 Misc. 2d 911, 497 N.Y.S.2d 979 (1986) were fair and just and c) that the plaintiff’s arguments on appeal are without merit (N.Y. App. Div. 1st Dep’t 1990).

Again, it is out of the scope of this write-up to analyze what happened thereafter, nor to chronicle any of the myriad civil rights actions and appeals that have followed City of New York v St. Mark’s. Let’s just say that when the bath house closed its doors in 1990, it was the end of an era, an era of pushing the envelope of acceptable human behavior, an era of unprecedented hedonism, an era of joyously celebrated sexual freedom, and the end of (perhaps) a somewhat unique social experiment (unbeknownst to all involved but for a few who’ve chronicled this issue for the sake of modern anthropology).


A few years after our experience at the St. Mark’s Baths, the same friend and I held candles and marched with thousands of individuals down a route through New York’s West Greenwich Village, in memory of all the individuals taken from us so early by AIDS. One of the most significant topics of lecture by speakers and conversation among the crowd at large was the issue of survivor guilt. Perhaps the answer to why some were spared and so many taken will come from science. Hopefully sooner than later for the sake of those who’d play Russian roulette with their lives in the name of a moment’s (unprotected) pleasure.


  • “Gay Sex in the ’70s”: film review by Dana Stevens, The New York Times, 1/21/07
  • Interview: Ian Levine (Part 2) (accessed 1/21/07)
  • “City Shuts a Bathhouse as Site of ‘Unsafe Sex'” by Joyce Purnick, The New York Times, 12/7/85
  • “Slumming it on St. Marks, or at Least Trying To” by Andrei Codrescu, The Villager (accessed 1/21/07)
  • Website of the St. Marks Hotel (accessed 1/21/07)
  • Court Upholds Power to Close Gay Bathhouses: City of New York v New St. Mark’s Baths, 130 Misc. 2d 911, 497 N.Y.S.2d 979 (1986) also (N.Y. App. Div. 1st Dep’t 1990) Versuslaw, accessed 1/21/07. And related case law.
  • The personal experience of the writer.
  • Anecdotal history given by sources whom request anonymity.
(c) 2005 Paul Lewis

Many thanks to Paul Lewis for sharing this history and his memories with

Do YOU have any memories of the notorious and fabulous New St. Marks Maths?

If so we’d love to read em. Just post in the comments section below.

17 thoughts on “Gay History: NYC 1979 – 1985 An Oral History of the Infamous Saint Marks Baths by Paul Lewis

  1. I only went there once. Probably around 1978-9. I don’t remember it anywhere near as glamorously as Paul Lewis. I remember it was massive and on many floors. I remember the floor after floor of rooms. It seemed like you spent most of your time climbing stairs looking for the next hook up. I do remember the awesome swimming pool full of naked men in the basement. It was so freeing and fun. My biggest recollection is that the place was so huge it lost some of the intimacy. I have been to many bathhouses. Most of them were more fun than the Saint Marks. But since I never did do drugs it might have taken some of the fun out of the experience. I suspect the place was less about sex and more about drugs.

    As a final note, a friend of mind from D.C. drove into the city to go to the Saint Marks. He was visiting his parents in White Planes. When he left the place early in the morning he could not find his car. He thought it was stolen. He called his dad who came into the city to get him and in order to explain why he was there he came out to his father that night. After he told his dad he was gay he realized he left the bathhouse by a different entrance. His car was still there but parked on another side of the building. His dear dad passed away early this year. I always that this was my favorite and unusual coming out story.

  2. By the way, I also went to the Saint once for a white party. I was young and in a monogamous relationship. My partner and I were totally out of our element. The experience was amazing. The light show and entertainment was so much fun. Our friend Vince took us out to dinner earlier and we went back to his place where we were staying to nap until after 1am before dressing and going back out. My partner Tim and I did not belong there. We felt like tourists. But I am glad we had the experience.

  3. Off and on from 77-79 I stripped and whored at a club somewhere around the Fillmore east and had a ball. Damn I wish I could remember the name of the club. All the porn guys passing through New York also stripped there. Made some good money. At the time I was also part of the cast of “Oh Calcutta” so I was pretty much naked day and night. Then one night I sucked this dudes dick backstage, he gave me 40 bucks and then went out in the audience to watch and brag while I stripped. I started jacking off like usual and when I came he arrested me for lude conduct. He arrested me for jacking off on stage and never mentioned me whoring his dick earlier. The audience threw food at him on our way out of the club. What a shit that cop was. I ended up giving him another blow job in the cop car (he came like a fucking horse) and he let me go not before hitting me a number of times telling me if I ever tell anyone like his wife or cops that he was a “FAG” that he would come find me and beat the shit out of me.
    2 months later I moved to Montreal where it is still legal to strip and jack off on stage and to even have sex on stage. Worked and whored at the Campus club there for 6 years working 6 months a year to pay for going to a christian college in Malibu California. Man, those were great days. Still miss it everyday. I told the University later how I paid for the place and they just about pissed there pants. I loved it…I even put up a sign with its name in the background of a porn scene I once did for Catalina.

  4. Much as I enjoyed your story in it is not entirely correct. Studio 54 opened several years before 12 West and The Saint so Steve Rubell and his doorman Marc Benecke were doing it first.

    As for the St. Marks Baths I loved it up, down and sideways. I even remember the name of a couple of my tricks as I put pictures, phone numbers of theirs in my scrap book. I was very young still a teenager but the times I had there were great.

    I feel ashamed to say I don’t remember the pool at all. Could I have completely not noticed about going downstairs?

  5. Went to St Marks several times from 1983-84 time period. Was a great time and like stated above – you could do what you wanted with whom you wanted all night if you decided to. There was a lot of play going on by picking someone up in a bar and going there because of “roommates” at home. The pool and hottub were great but never really spent much time down there. Usually was walking the halls to see what i could get into. Probably went to the “tubs” about once a month or so. You could always count on St Marks for a fun weekend if you were up for it. And i concur with Michael – Studio 54 was definitely before the saint – that wasnt until several years after Studio 54. By the time the saint opened studio 54 was dying out.

  6. Thought you might be interested in th pre-gentrification St. Marks, and the tale of two incredibly naive babes in the baths in 1956. My lover (legal husband 55 years later) and I decided to find out what was the attraction at “the baths”. We went to the St. Mark’s Baths, then known as a “Russian Bath house”, but with the already well earned reputation of a place in which gays could score. Entry, placing of valuables in safe boxes, receipt of towels (which then fit around my waist) etc. the same as quoted in the article. Towels wrapped around us, we wandered about, peeked at what was going on, swam, took steam, then wondered what to do next. The rest of the story will sound too Andy Rooney to be true (if it doesn’t already). We met a rather attractive young man (our age, so around 21 – 23), who was about to send out for watermelon, and asked if we were interested in partaking and sharing in the cost. Sounded like a great plan, so that’s what we did. Since we had a larger room (with a table no less) when the watermelon arrived, our room was selected to be headquarters. To report that the watermelon was delicious is important, because after it was gone, what remained of the evening was conversation, which had morphed into our military service past (mine was still one year in future), and the discovery thatTom (my lover) and Red (our watermelon dining companion) had served on the same navy ship at the same time. Red was way (WAY) more adventurous than Tom, and proceed to tell Tom about all the gay shipmates, the goings on on board ship (including the captain and his on board lover) and wondering how Tom had managed to miss all that wonderful activity. Did I mention that we were naive? Poor Tom was devastated! Anyway, although all sorts of things were going on in this shabby den of sin, neither Tom nor I nor Red (unless he had already had his fair share) did anything but have a rollicking grand time TALKING. We later became good friends for a period of about 3 – 4 years, during time which Red introduced us to many interesting people, including the most successful (and the most gorgeous) rent boy in New York.

  7. I remember well all the bathhouses that existed in Manhattan before 1986,when all were closed down by the city.They were the new St.Mar’s Baths in the East Village, The Big Apple Baths on W. 50-th.Street, The Club Baths on the lower East side,The Continental Baths in the Ansonia Hotel ,and The Everard on W.28-th Street off Broadway, i was a regular in the baths and have been in all of them from 1980 until the city closed them all down in 1986.This article mentions (5) of the most popular ones in Manhattan above. However, around 1981-82, in their heyday, there were no fewer than (12) gay men’s baths operating in the city… listed in the very popular SCREW weekly newspaper of that era. There were a total of (11) in Manhattan and (1) in Flushing, Queens.The others were, i.e., The Barracks on W.42nd Times Sq.,The Beacon Baths in midtown, Mt.Morris baths on W.125th Harlem,The Wall Street Sauna on Maiden Lane in the financial district, The Christopher Street Baths,a tiny one,located in the basement of a residential building on Christopher Street,just off 7th Ave. South, and The Keller Baths,located atop the Keller Hotel on West Street,one block South of Christopher Street in Greenwich Village.Lastly, located in Flushing,Queens was the Northern Men’s Sauna. This is gay men’s bathhouse history in New York City from the 1970’s right through 1986,whenthe city shuttered them all due to the AIDS crisis.

  8. I have read that in the early 20th century St Marks was owned by George and Ira Gershwin’s father, and that the 2 boys worked there. I wonder if gay sex was going on then

  9. I was a regular (very regular) at the St. Marks for five years, until it closed in 1985. I was given a gift certificate for my 30th birthday by a friend, in 1980. To be honest, it took me a while to use the certificate; though no stranger to gay sex, the thought of a bathhouse frightened me. When I finally went, I was like a kid in a candy store; you couldn’t keep me away from there. I was working in corporate America in RockefellerCenter at the time, and when I had the itch, I would stop in after work, and then head home to Brooklyn around midnight. Other nights, I would go directly home, have a light meal, pack an overnight bag and then spend the night at the baths. When I would arrive at work in the morning, after a catnap on the banquette in the lounge area, my coworkers would see my bag, roll their eyes and say, “Oh no, he’s been to the baths.” Even when we began to know more about how deadly AIDS was, I still continued to go; I was young and thought I was indestructible. Only the closure finally stopped me from climbing that front stairway.
    I’m one of the lucky ones. Decades later, despite my risky behavior, I’m still here, and remain HIV negative. I’m counting my blessings, because alnost all of my friends from that era are long gone.

  10. Does anyone recall the tiny gay bathhouse on Christopher Street around 1979-81 ? It was called “The Christopher Street Baths” and was mentioned in the Screw newspaper under gay bathhouses. It was on the left side of the Street, walking west in the village,between 7th Avenue South and Bleeker Street. Down one flight in the basement in those circa 1900 row houses. It was very dark,tiny and had only about 12 tiny cubicle-sized rooms,6 on each side. It did not last very long and remains esoteric and few recall that it ever even existed there….back in the gay !

  11. The Wall Street Sauna was located on the top floor of 1 Maiden Lane (between Broadway and Nassau Street) in the financial district. In the 1970’s and 80’s,this tiny gay bathhouse served a purpose for lunch hour quickies or after work extra curricular activity. It had two floors, about ten rooms, a lounge, several cubicles and a dark room. It survived the city closings in 1985/86, as it was classified as a “members-only” spa and only open to members,not the public.It was owned by the same proprietors of The East Side Club (still open) and The West Side Club in Chelsea (closed in 2021). The Wall Street Sauna closed around 2001,after 9/11 and never reopened due to air-quality concerns in the area and poor business.

  12. I recall the “Christopher Street Sauna” at 78 Christopher Street in Greenwich Village (c.1980-82). It was a tiny bathhouse located one flight down in an old circa 1900 tenement-style building, just off 7th Avenue South. It was only 12 tiny cubicle rooms, 6 on each side and a shower stall with two heads. It was back before Aids became a pandemic and Manhattan was full of seedy bookstores, video shops with glory-holes and no fewer than between 8 to 10 large bathhouses. Of course, by 1985-86, Aids became a real lethal problem and the city closed all these places under Giuliani and by order of the board of health. The old gay bathhouse scene of the 70’s and 80’s has never recovered and probably never will.

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.