Opened in in May of 1995. The DataLounge website will be shutting down at the end of the month as per postings on their forum.
The DataLounge was launched by Mediapolis, Inc and contents included gay-oriented news, gossip, pointless bitchery, links to other sites/services, and editorial content. (Plus also many posts about Celebrity Penis Size.)
DataLounge has approximately 6.5 million page views each month, according to its webmaster.
The “official” announcement will be made on Wednesday.
1955 – Rock Hudson marries his agent’s secretary to squelch rumors about his sexual orientation. Rumours which were unknown to Phyllis Gates who became Hudson’s wife. That is of course until Phyllis had hired private eye Fred Otash who then in turn secretly taped Rock’s and Phyllis’ personal conversations.
On January 21, 1958, Rock Hudson’s wife confronted him, demanding to know if he was gay and grilling the actor about a Rorschach test he had taken. “You told me you saw thousands of butterflies and also snakes,” she said “[A therapist] told me in my analysis that butterflies mean femininity and snakes represent that male penis. I’m not condemning you, but it seems that as long as you recognize your problem, you would want to do something about it.” She also complained about “your great speed with me, sexually. Are you that fast with boys?”
“Well, it’s a physical conjunction [sic],” replied Rock, then 32. “Boys don’t fit. So, this is why it lasts longer.”
Added Phyllis: “Everyone knows that you were picking up boys off the street shortly after we were married and have continued to do so, thinking that being married would cover up for you.”
“I have never picked up any boys on the street,” Rock insisted. “I have never picked up any boys in a bar, never. I have never picked up any boys, other than to give them a ride.”
Well we all know how this story ends.
1979 – Bette Midler’s first movie, The Rose, opens in theaters and leads to an Oscar nomination for Best Actress for the Divine Miss M.
The Rose is the story of a self-destructive 1960s rock star who struggles to cope with the constant pressures of her career and the demands of her ruthless business manager.
The story is loosely based on the life of singer Janis Joplin. Originally titled Pearl, after Joplin’s nickname, and the title of her last album, it was fictionalized after her family declined to allow the producers the rights to her story.
Bette performed the soundtrack album for the film, and the title track became one of her biggest hit singles.
1985 – Openly gay Terry Sweeney joined the cast of Saturday Night Live.
Sweeney’s run on the show came at a time when there were few openly gay characters or actors on television. For roughly 27 years, there were no other openly gay cast members on SNL, until Kate McKinnon (a former cast member of Logo’s The Big Gay Sketch Show) was added to the cast in April 2012.
Now that I am at safely at least 1000 miles from everyone who was at this years Netroots Nation – LGBT Netroots Nation Connect Conference its time for all the news that many would say is not fit to print.
But not me. I like it!
* What media watchdog group that says it is “dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media” has for years promised to sponsor the LGBT Netroots Connect program only to say no when it comes time to donate funds. One could say that for this group independent LGBT news and media might not really matter that much after all.
* What hot hispanic blogger now calls himself the “pass-around party bottom of the blogging world“. Because he’s now passing himself around as a freelancer rather than working for a website that has queerly gone downhill the past few years. No need to panic though said blogger is doing fine and has a wicked sense of humour about the whole ordeal.
* Netroots Nation 12 – LGBT Netroots Nation Connect quote : “They’re giving out condoms and bottle openers, now this is my type of conference!”– Ian Finkenbinder “One Angry Queer” upon opening his swag bag.
* Which trans-blogger who prides herself on her military precision hit a high note by being on Netroots Nations FIRST Transgender Blogging Panel only to end on a low note by going AWOL and not doing her duty by doing her time at the LGBT Netroots Nation Connect table and just totally blew it off. Will this cause her to be sent to the Netroots Nation brig next year?
* OMG! Which blogger became very popular this year after a stunt that was pulled by another blogger to rip him down actually made people stand up and notice more and has helped him become Mr. Big?
* Now this is rich. What National Gay Orgaination representative flittered and fluttered around Zack Wallis during the Pre-Con acting like a Hollywood agent even though said said reps organiztion really has nothing to do with same-sex marriage or the boy scout message.
* New term coined: Bloggerbation: The art of jerking around other bloggers with spin and and smooze to get them on your side. (And bore them to death) – Term credit goes to Greg Varnum and Todd Heywood
* Biggest “bloggerbation” quote during the LGBT Pre-Conference: “My same sex marriage in Massachusetts helps same sex couples in red states.” TRUTH: Your same sex marriage pisses off the red states more and actually makes it harder for same sex couples to fight for the right to marry. Which could be the reason why a certain org has turned its back on two red states recently who had asked for help because they didn’t want to spend resources on states they might not win.
* Which GMHC Director has the pecs of death that Ricky Ricardo would be proud to play Babaloo on? (And he’s also a sweetie ……and SINGLE!)
* Was the Providence Convention Center transphobic? The biggest mystery of the week was after Netroots Nation posted Gender Nuteral bathrooms signs throughout the convention hall in less than 24 hours they were all taken down. Bad show PCC.
More to come over the next few days. Keep checking back!
There is an area in Griffith Park where you can take the kiddies for a train ride. A certain actor used to enjoy taking men for another kind of ride in the same area. He would cruise the park, pick up a guy, and then hook up with them in his car. The really ironic thing here is that the actor is so religious that when he was a teen heartthrob (a couple of decades ago) he used to insist that any dialogue that was even the slightest bit sexual or profane be removed from his lines because they violated his sense of decency. He’s all grown up now – and still cruises for guys – but we’re sure his wife really appreciates what a moral man she married.
What a pain it must have been growing up with this guy on the set in the 1980’s
The last time the bigots in the Indiana Republican party tried this move, Bil and his friends found out that the sponsor of the amendment, who was super pro-life in addition to being super anti-gay, forced his wife to have an abortion the week before he divorced her. Hypocrisy much? Then there’s the anti-gay politician who was schtuping his male hairdresser while his wife lay in bed with a long-term illness.
When Bil made his threat last time, to out anti-gay hypocrites who weren’t living up to the family values they wanted to legislate down our throats, it helped kill the amendment. This time he’s asking for your help again. Pass this around to your friends, because Bil is right. This isn’t your daddy’s Oldsmobile. We’re in a new millennium now, and especially post- Prop, 8 gay people aren’t going to sit back and shut up any longer
And we shouldn;t. Its time to FIGHT BACK with anything and everything we’ve got. Its time to expose these hypocritical self righteous Republican motherfuckers and father fuckers for who and what they really are.
Lets face it kids. NICE DOESN’T WIN. HRC has proved that. Its time to show our claws and rip these fuckers to shreds.
Consider this a call to gossip. I want to know the scoop. Tell me the stories that will embarrass those conservative bigots – Democrats and Republican – that are backing a constitutional ban on our formalized relationships. Send me gossip about who’s a philanderer, a kink fiend, a drug addict, a porn addict, or had a divorce, an abortion or even a stay in rehab. By the way, if you’re looking for a marketing agency that helps rehab centers in online promotions and content making, drugrehab.agency is the website to visit. If this interests you, reach them at 877-956-3112. Ask your friends and family for the dirt. Look it up on the internet. Sniff out a lead and send it my way.
I specifically want to learn more about the alleged blowjob one of our married legislative leaders got caught receiving from a staffer in the Statehouse parking lot. I also want to know more about the single Senator who got all of his money after a rich non-related older man died and left it all to him. Rumor has it that there’s a handful of legislators who are in the closet and have been spotted visiting the Unicorn Club’s strippers and the gay baths. Several southern legislators supposedly have a fondness for blow.
It’s time to do this. And the time is NOW. NO MORE MR. NICE GAY!
Casey Donovan (Real name Cal Culver November 2, 1943– August 10, 1987) who appeared in the historic gay adult film that would cement his status as a gay icon, Boys in the Sand, in 1971.passed away in 1987 of an AIDS-related pulmonary infection in Inverness, Florida, aged 43
But shortly before he passed away Culver gave an interview which was never published and now the lost interview has been unearthed and included in new book Hollywood Babylon Strikes Again. In which Culver claimed that he met Christopher Reeves when Reeves when they both were auditioning for the same Broadway role in the mid-1970s and they were romantically involved.
Culver calls Reeve “the man of my dreams” and reveals the two men had a passionate affair that lasted for two months – until the future Superman learned his partner was a gay porn star, who performed under the name Casey Donovan. In the interview, Culver said that, “Christopher was a great lover and I think I liberated him sexually.I didn’t think he was gay but he seemed willing to try anything once. He was curious.”
Christopher Reeves died of heart failure in 2004, almost a decade after he was paralysed in a horse fall.