During the course of the last four seasons of The Walking Dead on AMC, there has been much fan discussion and speculation over who Daryl Dixon might eventually make a romantic connection with on the show. Daryl has formed close friendships with both Carol and Beth, but he has yet to hook up with either of them romantically treating Carol more like a “mother figure” and Beth more like a “little sister”
One question that has been posed in fan speculation sites over and has been whether Daryl might possibly be gay. Especially that in the past TWD had basically ignored and cut gay and lesbians characters from the transfer from the graphic novel to television until the introduction of minor lesbian character of Tara appeared after much insistence from this website. Now the question about Daryl’s sexuality was put to Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman in the letter column to The Walking Dead #130. Currently in the comic series, there is a character maned Jesus who is a tough character and all around badass, who also just happens to be gay. Fans are wondering if that parallel might be drawn to Daryl character in the TV series, as Daryl is also a badass whose sexual orientation is still somewhat of a mystery.
When asked if the possibility of Daryl being gay had been considered, Kirkman answered, “All I can say is that it’s been discussed. We have very specific ideas about Daryl’s sexuality (or the seeming lack thereof), and if there’s ever a quiet period in the show where he’s not consistently distracted by crossbowing… we’ll tackle it in the show.”
When asked if AMC would let the possibility of Daryl Dixon being gay fly, Kirkman responded, “For the record, they absolutely would.”
Personally I hope Daryl is gay. After Season 4’s snoozefest some hot gay redneck sex would be a step up. Maybe they can bring in Chris Hardwick to be his hot little geek powerbottom!
Let’s take stock of last nights 2nd episode “meh” second episode of Season 4 of The Walking Dead: Infected:
WARNING: There be SPOILERS below.
It is now a little over 6 months from the end of Season 3 which makes it roughly 1 year and 4 months into the Walker Apocalypse. (Because no one says the word “zombie”)
In a nod, or rip off to Stephen King’s The Stand, aCaptian Trips like superflu invades the prison and kills a Harry Potter look-a-like throwaway character named Patrick who kills another throwaway character with no name in his sleep and the virus spreads through D Block killing even MORE throwaway characters we didn’t know. Two annoying little girls watch their dad die, yet another character the audience has no vested interests in and Tyreese’s new girlfriend Karen who we do know from last season gets sick and then torched. (like people don’t know that its probably the whack job from Episode 1 who likes his vino.) Michonne cries while she holds baby Judith, and worst of all — adorable little piggies being sliced and left as walker-chum. To lead them away from the gates which haven’t been shored up in the 6 months they have been at the prison.
RIP squealing piggies we cared about and knew more about you than the other walker bait characters they offed in this episode.
This and that.
* Rick and Carl are finally back in the gun shooting game.
* Michonne had a pretty strange response to being stuck with Judith, and it begs the question of whether she had a child before the zombie apocalypse. Still not much is known about her past, and she seemed pretty upset when Beth brought up the point that there’s no word for a parent who has lost a child. Hopefully this is a tease of a bit more of her backstory that will be explored in future episodes it was the most interesting part of last night.
* Daryl (the hottest redneck on television) wants Rick to return as leader, the new Prison survivors (who probably will all die anyway) are looking to Daryl as a leader and he hasn’t had time to lighten his hair back to the light brown it was in Season 1.
* Carl rats out Carol’s knife teaching class and Rick doesn’t care.
* And STILL no LGBT characters have been introduced as survivors.