Hate crime attacks have been on the rise in the Dallas, Texas neighborhood of Oak Lawn with over a dozen anti-gay attacks reported last fall alone.
Now reports now emerging that 5 more that have happened in just under only 2 weeks.
• A gay couple was attacked behind the Round-Up Saloon, the city’s iconic country and western gay bar.
• A gay man fought off his attackers after being jumped while walking from Station 4, the city’s largest LGBT nightclub, to his apartment.
• A person attending the Texas Bear Roundup, a large gay event, was attacked on the Cedar Springs strip in the heart of Oak Lawn, with his wallet stolen.
• A man ran from three men wielding a baseball bat between the Round-Up Saloon and the nearby Walgreens drug store.
• A trans woman required stitches after being attacked while walking down the street behind the Brick, a gay bar.
Over 20 new recruits have signed up for the Dallas Police Department’s Volunteers in Patrol but police still haven’t made any arrests in connection with those incidents, and the volunteers’ presence apparently has done nothing to quell the wave of violence against LGBT people in the city.
John Anderson, one of the volunteer patrol members also states that an alarming occurrence is that many attacks are going unreported to the police.
“Unreported attacks are an epidemic issue in Oak Lawn,” Anderson wrote. “If you are attacked, please call 911 immediately. It does not matter if you are intoxicated or undocumented. The police only care about catching the attackers. We cannot become complacent about the crime wave in Oak Lawn. The attackers were never caught and there are still attacks EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND.”
Please be aware of you surroundings and take care of yourself. This goes not just for the LGBT community of Dallas but for everyone.
See something, experience something. SAY SOMETHING.