“Stonewall” Actor Jeremy Irvine Responds To Whitewashing Accusations, Gets Attacked On Instagram
To anyone with concerns about the diversity of the #StonewallMovie. I saw the movie for the first time last week and can assure you all that it represents almost every race and section of society that was so fundamental to one of the most important civil rights movements in living history. Marsha P Johnson is a major part of the movie, and although first hand accounts of who threw the first brick in the riots vary wildly, it is a fictional black transvestite character played by the very talented @vlad_alexis who pulls out the first brick in the riot scenes. My character is adopted by a group of street kids whilst sleeping rough in New York. In my opinion, the story is driven by the leader of this gang played by@jonnybeauchamp who gives an extraordinary performance as a Puerto Rican transvestite struggling to survive on the streets. Jonathan Rhys Meyers’ character represents the Mattachine Society, who were at the time a mostly white and middle class gay rights group who stood against violence and radicalism. I felt incredibly nervous taking on this role knowing how important the subject matter is to so many people but Roland Emmerich is one of the most sensitive and heartfelt directors I’ve worked with and I hope that, as an ensemble, we have not only done such an important story justice but also made a good movie as well.
- raquelmoreira764Jeremy the film will be perfect.. you are great ! ♥♥
- jandrs199The Tranvestite this is so stupid, it was obiously a fucking mistake
- jandrs199Shut up @rupaulsvevo
- bcbbyShut up whitey
- barbaraarmySo you dont want to be shamed for being “black” but you’re blaming him for being white how hironic sorry my english this is a movie inspired on real facts if you want to see the real story go buy the old movie or watch a damn documentary you havent even watch the movie to say if it makes honor or not to the real story (again sorry for my english)
- rupaulsvevoHistorically the people who were the catalyst for change were the minority groups, if you guys would bother to type in “stonewall riots” into Google you’ll find the real protagonists for change. The issue we take hold is that they have been push to the side for a white male protagonist. When really the story plays out differently. That’s our issue. It’s not about him being born white or straight, it has to do with representation and media white washing.
- jaysonedwardcarterwe need to remove the ad hominem from our dialogue. if we’re talking about the media, let’s talk about the media. this is a dude who took a job he was offered — lecturing him on hegemonic oppression isn’t going to contribute to the discussion in any way. this conversation should be happening on the director’s page and it should be much more inclusive and educational than this. that said i applaud those of you who have chosen to bring this up in a civil and digestible way (which is, like, one of you)
- vivamarsWhite washing our history yet again , media propaganda smh ,#boycottstonewallmovie#boycottstonewallmovie#boycottstonewallmovie !!! Trans youth of color need representation!
- jaysonedwardcarteralso for those of you complaining about the use of the t-word: STAR is all i need to say if you’re the activist you say you are
- sasha_delaghettoBullshit. Fuck you and this white washed ass movie.
- ariels_tale@jeremyirvinefans_ Pardon? You feel sorry for the millionaire actor who wouldnt know the meaning of struggle or systematic oppression if it hit him in the head? Ahhh you’ve got your priorities really sorted. How about you go take your fan girling somewhere it can make a difference and help people….oh…… :/
- jeremyirvinefans_@ariels_tale he’s only doing his job and he has to study the stories before taking them on so he probably does know more about it than you do!
- _milliethornton_@mai._.barber follow him
- mai._.barberI did this morning @_milliethornton_
- sasha_delaghettowhy u gotta devalue the efforts of twoc by casting marsha p johnson as a cis white man? Stop white washing history #boycottStonewallmovie
- gabriella551@_jeremyirvine this is a mess.
- icedmilktee@jeremyirvinefans_ he literally used transvestite twice, it’s not a word used to describe trans women. it’s a slur. so I doubt it.
- _seaabass_Did you really use the word “transvestite”
- rub.enCan’t even take this seriously when you use the word “transvestite
- raydemesa“Transvestite”? Gross. If this trash doesn’t wake up all of us in the queer community at how we are continuously oppressed, manipulated, and disrespected by “well-intentioned”, disingenuous [mis]-representations of our history, then we are so sad and stupid. Think before you give away your money. cc my beautiful friends@nicopicoco @ji.0 @zzsheen@danjbarker24 @linhdanberry@yvonnehchow
Honestly this has got to STOP! I am no fan of the fact that Emmerich added fictional characters to the movie. BUT as far as OUR history is concerned its time to stop co-opting this event for a personal agenda.
NO ONE. AND I MEAN NO ONE. has any PROOF of how the event actually started. It wasn’t even historically documented for the first time until 20 years later when someone finally tried to piece the events together to write a book and he (Duberman) got conflicting stories and decided which one to choose in his book. So for all you “children” out there that weren’t even alive when Stonewall happened that are bitching about Marsha and Sylvia they themselves gave conflicting stories about where they were that night. Syvia was in the bar, then outside to start the riot. Its a mess! The history of the Stonewall Riot is now one of folklore and very basic facts. Nobody knows who actually started it and it will always be that way. We know who was there over the THREE DAYS rioting and who was in the bar. But everything else is hearsay. So those of you who are so adamant about who, what, and where and are making believe that they actually know about how it began are just as bad or worse than Roland Emmerich.
And if you want to be historically accurate in 1969 BOTH Sylvia and Marsha were NOT “transgender”. Sylvia and Marsha were “transvestite” street hustlers. And that’s what they called themselves. Thus the organization S.T.A.R. (STREET TRANSVESTITE ACTION REVOLUTIONARIES) and they were damn proud people and didn’t care what you called them as long as you gave them equality. And you all could learn something from that. And I know this for a fact because I knew them both.
You are all washing our LGBT history in one way or another and it must stop.
IT MUST STOP NOW!