In what has been deemed an “intentional act”. Nineteen people were hospitalized early Sunday after powdered chlorine was placed in a ninth floor stairway at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare during the 2014 Midwest FurFest,
Rosemont Public Safety received several calls from guests at the hotel stating there was a noxious odor spreading across the 9th floor about 12:45 a.m. Sunday.
Crews discovered a high level of chlorine gas in the air and evacuated hotel staff, guests and pets. HazMat technicians decontaminated the area and conducted tests.
Paramedics took 19 guests who complained of nausea and dizziness to hospital.
The hotel was hosting the 2014 Midwest FurFest convention. Attendees dress up like furry animals and celebrate art, literature and performance based on anthropomorphic animals, (according to the convention’s website.)
Despite the fact that police are investigating the matter as a criminal act. The Furfest has released a statement stating that the last day will go on as scheduled (and there will be no refunds.)
As we wake up today we want to continue to provide the best possible convention that we can, despite the trying circumstances. The convention will be running on a full normal programming schedule today. We ask you to continue to be patient, and remember that the volunteers who make Midwest FurFest happen intend to give 110% to make sure that the fun, friendship, and good times of Midwest FurFest 2014 overshadow last night’s unfortunate incident.
To dispel rumors: Because this was an unforeseen possibly criminal act, Midwest FurFest will not be offering refunds, nor will the Hyatt Regency O’Hare be comping any rooms. Any further questions should be referred to firstname.lastname@example.org.