The Lost Art and History of Gay Disco Fan Dancing Featuring Bret Lacquement (1977) – Rare Video

1. thanks for the post……. but I was never lost…LOL I’ve been here all the time…..Bret

So many others have been man! YOU ARE HISTORIC!

• Emilio M says:

Amazing dancing! And I’m glad to hear that you are alive & well!

I would love learn more about the dance troupe, dance style and how to build fans that for it (most fans I’ve seen I haven’t been able to stand this type of spinning/movement). Thanks in advance!

• Rob Hull says:

Bret, how can I get a hold of you? I fondly remember this from the late 70’s. I’m now in my 50’s and would like to learn how. Do you still teach?

2. Scott S. says:

I was 18 years old, just coming out, and fortunate enough to catch the tail end of the disco era. I was so enamored and fascinated by the few fan dancers that I did see during that time. I think it’s time that this lost art be brought back. Where would one get the fans to use?

3. Allan says:

The video is no longer available! Is there anywhere I can see some fan dancing?

4. Philip Hawkins says:

Philip H November 2015

Wow!! I was a “fan dancer” in the mid 80’s here in England, I first saw guys floating fans in Heaven the gay disco in London and was hooked, one of the guys came off the floor and I asked where do you get the fans, he told me, you have to make them and spent half an hour explaining how to make a set of fans and where to buy material etc – the next evening I was back with my first set of fans, the guy showed me some basic movements and that was the start of my fan dancing. I took them with me to all the gay clubs when I travelled in the UK and abroad. I was diagnosed HIV positive in 1985 and in a way the “fans” where my saviour as they enabled me to stay in the gay community as I felt that they had rejected me because I was OUT as someone living with the virus.

5. Donna says:

I was one of the few women fan d as ncers at Trocadero. I remember Bret and I occasionally still pull the fans out.

6. K. Santiago says:

Can someone give me the dementions for making the “fans”? Please?