GOP Tennessee State Sen. Stacey Campfield has made quite a name for himself in politics. And not a good one to any sane rational thinking person.
Campfield who serves as the Republican member of the Tennessee Senate from the 7th district, including Knoxville, Farragut, and other parts of Knox County has drawn widespread criticism for a blog post earlier this week comparing mandatory signups under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) to the “train rides” the Jews took under Nazi Germany
Democrats bragging about the number of mandatory sign ups for Obamacare is like Germans bragging about the number of manditory[sic] sign ups for “train rides” for Jews in the 40s. – Posted by The Sen. at 9:21 AM
But that’s not the worst thing that Stacey Campfield has ever said or done.
Here’s a quick list:
* 2002 – At one of Republican Congressman Jimmy Duncan‘s annual barbecues, Campfield followed incoming Governor of Tennessee Phil Bredesen with a sign saying “Tax ‘n’ Spend Governor”. He was forcibly removed by security
* 2005 – Campfield said that he was interested in joining the legislative Black Caucus. Campfield described the group’s bylaws as racist because he said they restrict membership based on race, which described as being more restrictive than the Ku Klux Klan’s bylaws. Campfiels later says that he doesn’t “give a rat’s ass what the black caucus thinks.”
* 2008 – Campfield proposed a bill to ban teachers from teaching about homosexuality in Tennessee’s public elementary and middle schools
* 2008 – Campfield proposed a bill to prohibit Tennessee public colleges from admitting illegal immigrants.
* 2011 – (As s a senator) Campfield revived his 2008 “anti gay education” bill as SB49, the so-called “Don’t Say Gay” bill, and it gained national and international attention. Openly gay filmmaker Del Shores challenged him to a debate about it. Lillian Faderman and Harvard historian Ian Lekus agreed it encouraged dishonesty and could lead to further suicide among LGBT youth. In an interview, Campfield explained he supported anti-bullying legislation for all children, not just for the LGBT community. Later however, he remarked, “that bullying thing is the biggest lark out there.”
* 2012 – In an interview with Michelangelo Signorile, Campfield stated “most people realize that AIDS came from the homosexual community – it was one guy screwing a monkey, if I recall correctly, and then having sex with men. It was an airline pilot, if I recall…. My understanding is that it is virtually – not completely, but virtually – impossible to contract AIDS through heterosexual sex…very rarely [transmitted].” He later quoted the odds of heterosexual vaginal transmission at 1 in 5 million
* 2013 – Campfield attempts to pit gays against African Americans by saying that the reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. was a bigot.
He supports his claims by linking to a post written by an extreme right wing blogger and Liberty Counsel hate group leader, Matt Barber.
* 2013, Campfield introduced a modified version of his “Don’t Say Gay” bill. This version allows teachers and guidance counselors to answer a child’s private questions about sexuality, but forces them to tell the child’s parents if they do.
The people of Tennessee should be ashamed that they keep re-electing someone like Campfield.
Be sure to check out the Stupid Shit Stacey Campfield says Facebook page for even more stupid shit from Stacey Campfield.