You Are Here: Home » Entertainment - Travel - Sports - Leisure, Featured » Bigots Go Bonkers Over “Kinky Boots” Performance At Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade – Video

kink Boots Macy's Parade

Within seconds of the beginning of a musical number from the Tony Award winning Broadway musical “Kinky Boots” this morning at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade anti-LGBT bigots took to Twitter, Facebook, and other forms of social media howling like banshee’s proving that hate does not take a holiday.

Melissa Dickey Boff Cannot believe that there is a dance skit called “Kinky Boots.” I thought this was supposed to be a family event….not appropriate at all. Recording is deleted and not watching this again. Will also shop elsewhere….I’ve got plenty of other options.
Rebecca Gunder We just changed the channel , not to excited about the drag queen show! Stay classy
Adam Cervas Macy’s worst decision ever with your cross dresser show on Thanksgiving, you’ve completely removed the family part of thanksgiving. Absolutely disgusting, whoever made that decision should be fired.
Shelby Wells Shame on you for putting transvestites in a traditionally family-friendly, wholesome event as the Thanksgiving Day parade. Awful of you to insinuate sexualization of children into this event- evil!
Rebecca Kling Boycotting Macy’s immediately. My entire family and I were altogether disgusted. Changed the channel within seconds of the “Kinky Boots” act, before my young children were exposed to the highly sexualized explicit adult material. Disappointed is an understatement. As a business, you know that Word Of Mouth (WOM) communication is a huge part of marketing. You should also know that negative WOM spreads faster than positive. Be assured, I will never say another positive word about your company, but will make sure those who missed out on the debacle of your parade this year are aware of your grand entrance into the push of sexuality onto young children. A public apology is owed. Americans deserve better than this.
And that’s only the armature bigots.  Wait until tomorrow when the pro’s like Tony Perkins, Bryan Fischer, and One Million Old Biddys Moms show up.
As for them boycotting.  If I were Macy’s I wouldn’t worry. It’s doubtful that any of these knuckle dragging, trailer park dwelling neanderthal bigots shop at Macy’s at all  let alone afford it.   But while these transphobic inbred assholes rant on and bash macy’s about the inclusion of the musical number lets all drop over to Macy’s Facebook page and leave a note of THANKS for making this years parade diverse and for all families.

About the author

Will Kohler has written 6652 articles on this blog.

64 Comments

1. […] Bigots Go Bonkers Over “Kinky Boots” Performance At Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade – Video […]

2. Lets be honest, the so-called pros can not be exposing themselves as more bigot as these brainless so-called educators and family-supporters did!

These so-called pros probably will use more poisonous words and expressions, but the basics of these inbreeding child-abusing wife-beating hypocrites is simply that they are opposed to equality, pro-hate, pro-discrimination, pro-rape of children, supporters of the most vile and sick religious traitors of the Constitution and Hum Rights Laws, it’s that simple!

On the one hand it is a shame that these creatures of god exist, but then, when they would not be around, the abuse of the words and actions by Jesus by these creatures would not be able to be exposed!
    Jesus who they claim to be supporting, adoring and whatever, did just the opposite of what they do…. they hate were Jesus loved, they exclude were Jesus included, they kill were Jesus gave life, and they cause divisiveness were Jesus created unity!

They are in fact lost souls, strayed from the path that was supposed to be the path to joy, peace and unity, and inf act they choose for the opposite of Jesus, his brother Satan………….

Just an opinion……. hoping that they rot in hell, and burn in the most ferocious forest-fire ever!

• ron says:

nah… we just don’t accept the corruption of God’s design by all lgbt influences. but hey…you are welcome to support everyone that supports you I.e. starbucks, mcdonalds, etc… their food will kill you quicker. post this as proof of my bigotry and hate. I am happy to oblige your need to engage in ridiculous behaivor.

• TRunis says:

I’m not against someones sexual preference. BUT! There is a time and a place for everything. Since when was it considered OK to highjack a FAMILY and/or childrens parade to flaunt your sexuality???? Let me say this… those of us who don’t give a shit…. well you are slowly making us mad.

Okay lets get something straight here. Kinky Boots has to do with a Caberet Drag Performer who helps a stuggling she factory. “Drag” is NOT a sexual preference. he origins of the word are debated, but “Drag” has appeared in print as early as 1870. And the preactice goes back to Shakespearean times and beyond when men would dress up and perform the women’s part.

There is a long history of drag in the performing arts, spanning a wide range of cultural as well as artistic traditions.
        Drag in the theatre arts manifests two kinds of phenomenon. One is cross-dressing in the performance, which is part of the social history of theatre. The other is cross-dressing within the theatrical fiction (i.e. the character is a cross-dresser), which is part of literary history.
        Drag is usually played for comic effect. Examples include the Monty Python Women and Tony and Jack (Curtis and Lemmon) in Some Like It Hot.
        Baden-Powell, founder of the Scout Movement was keen on amateur theatricals, from Charterhouse public school where among other roles he played female operatic roles. In the army he made a speciality of female roles and would often make his own dresses. His stage speciality was what he called his skirt dance.

In American network television, only the broadest slapstick drag tradition was generally represented. Few American TV comedians consistently used drag as a comedy device, among them Milton Berle, Flip Wilson and Martin Lawrence, although drag characters have occasionally been popular on sketch TV shows like In Living Color (with Jim Carrey’s grotesque female bodybuilder) and Saturday Night Live (with the Gap Girls, among others). On the popular 1960s military sitcom, McHale’s Navy, Ensign Parker (Tim Conway) sometimes had to dress in drag (often with hilarious results) whenever McHale and/or his crew had to disguise themselves in order to carry out their elaborate schemes.

• Fla Catman says:

OK, so instead of watching a delightful piece of theatre, take Mom and the kiddies out to WalMart’s for a crush spectacle. Also, there should be lots of “WalMart People” on display later that night.

• BobR says:

Oh how I love it when straight people accuse gay people of “flaunting their sexuality”. What the hell do you think 90% of all advertising, TV and by the way much of the parade is all about – STRAIGHT PEOPLE FLAUNTING THEIR SEXUALITY. Get over it. Get a life.

3. Karla says:

Why are the parents who think that this was inappropriate be considered bigots? This is appalling. Macy’s, I hope that your lack of respect for the holiday as well as this awful performance in the presence of children makes your company sink like the Titanic. Are you trying to completely ruin the family. Well, I think that you are. It is silly that we have something as simple as gender identity and people who feel as though they have to take the converse side of an issue and identify with it for the sake of identifying with it because they don’t relate to that identity that society says that they should. In this case, we are talking about high heels. My GOD Macy’s… KINKY BOOTS… on the holiday, you should have known better just by the title. I hope your sales suffer, if only the founders of the company could see you now and how low you have steeped in order to make a profit you greedy company.

• SmagBoy1 says:

Karla, you keep using that word “family”. I do not think it means what you think it means.

#comeandjoinusinthe21stcentury

• Obviously you missed this part of the video http://youtu.be/bx8wyfKvkWY?t=3m27s you cisgender supremacist ChristoFascist lover

• BaNaka says:

First…Karla…calm down sweetheart, I know that in a world with famine, genocide and war, crossdressers are at the top of your “Things to get worked up over” list but perhaps you should get some REAL perspective. Secondly I’m not sure how this was inappropriate for kids? There were no lewd acts, the was nothing overtly sexual, the song was about excepting others who are different and loving ones self. The costuming was that of any typical broadway show (the Little Mermaid shows more skin) ..So what’s the big deal? Oh are you mad that it portrayed men wearing high heels? Are you mad that they showed drag queens in a non-sexual non-deviant light? Or are you made that America just may be on the verge of accepting people from all walks of life?
      xoxo
      Ba’Naka
      Proud American & Proud Drag Queen

• Jenna says:

I love what you have to say…i just cannot believe the overreaction and how silly this is! I have two kids and they loved this and it was not offensive at all! It is very funny that someone will say that this is overly sexual…i am confused about this because none of this was sexual! The Rockets show more skin than this!

• Eric says:

Oh go eat a flaming yule log. I give less than a feck about your precious sense of entitlement and concerns about the family unit. Like you ever really cared about that at all.

4. karla says:

This is appalling, you should have known by the title of the performance. Are you trying to ruin the family with your corporate greed Macy’s. First the disrespect of the holiday, now this? I hope that your company sinks like the Titanic.

5. […] via Bigots Go Bonkers Over “Kinky Boots” Performance At Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade…. […]

6. MYKELB says:

Just purchased merchandise in the high 3 figures. THANKS MACY’S!

7. Robbin Allen says:

Macy’s you are a class, bigot-free act. Can’t wait to shop there tomorrow — BRAVO!!

8. James says:

is there anyway to say that I didn’t think Kinky Boots was appropriate for my children without being labeled as hateful & a bigot ? Just curious, shouldn’t tolerance go both ways ? You support it, good for you, why if I don’t like it am I labeled so negatively? Don’t I have the right to have my opinion ?

Are you tolerant to the KKK, anti-semites or bully who beats up and murders a gay kid?

Look judging from the performance yesterday a child wouldn’t even catch the fact that they were men dressed as women let alone dressed as women.

By the way did you have a problem when Macy’s parade in the past did performances from Hairspray which had a man dressed as a woman playing Edna or La Cage Aux Folles?

• I also have a right to MY OPINION about YOU and you are a nazi loving cisgender supremacist who needs to shove your transgender bashing garbage down your transgender bashing throat and choke on it. Are you teaching your brats to attack anyone who you tell them need their approval and acceptance to be who they are too?

• Celine says:

This performance was too racy for kids. I don’t think you’re a bigot and I’m gay.

• Tanya says:

I have a question for you. Are you appalled when the Rockets come out, in their tiny outfits? or the cheerleaders from the NY football team, also in their skimpies?

or is it just that it’s men dressed skimpily?

• Heather says:

It’s just boots. What’s the big deal? Nobody’s dressed inappropriately, there’s nothing risque going on. Just a positive message of tolerance and personal expression. That makes you uncomfortable? That’s YOUR problem. Recognize it and deal with it.

9. Greg Grevera says:

Thanks Macy’s! Keep up the great work!

10. Markey says:

Hey don’t lump the mobile home dwellers with the haters

11. Ross says:

Dear Will,

It is cheap and easy to label people as bigots because they don’t agree with you. It is quite another thing to lead by example and practice the same tolerance and respect you desire. You become the very thing you detest, because you’re being just like them; judgmental and biased in labeling. The LGBT community is being done a disservice. You beat them by being better than them, not by putting yourself on the same level.

• Robert says:

That argument doesn’t fly. What you’re saying is “How dare you be intolerant of intolerance?” I’m sure you’re the first person defending the poor KKK and Neo-Nazis from people criticizing them for shouting racist things at their rallys. After all, if you dare criticize them, you’re sinking to their level, right?

• Ross says:

I think you introduced neo nazis and the KKK. I’m talking about THIS situation, not a hypothetical. Labeling people is a divisor, not a unitifier. And isn’t that what the LGBT community wants, to unify all of us as members of the human race? If not, I guess I better find another cause to support.

12. Steve Kmetko says:

Karla… You need to get laid, honey.

13. Addison says:

I didn’t hear anybody complaining about the nudity in the “Pippin” number.

14. Angedelune says:

I just watched the act, and there wasn’t anything inappropriate about it. Unless you TELL your children those were guys dressed as girls they aren’t going to know; Macy’s has a history of including award winning broadway shows in the parade and this is no exception. Why don’t you actually watch the play or you know study up on it before making snap judgements.

• Tall Stacey says:

I suspect that most of those with their panties in a knot have no idea that “Kinky Boots” is a Broadway show. They heard the words “kinky” and “boots” and went into a BDSM fantasy inspired panic! “Better shut that off quick before the kids see what those spike heel boots hidden in mommy’s closet are really for!”

I love that they tell you how quick they shut it off, then complain about the content that they then didn’t see!

15. Bird says:

I agree that this response smacks of transphobia, but you do nothing to advance inclusion when you refer to a group of mothers as “Old Biddys.” Referring to people who disagree with you as “inbred … knuckle dragging, trailer park dwelling neanderthal bigots” who can’t afford Macy’s in the first place also suggests that you are a misogynistic, classist regionalist who finds it amusing to trivialize women and make fun of people who are struggling to survive on poverty wages. Your statements also suggest that you’re a regionalist; in fact, I could almost hear you throwing in “hillbilly” or “rebel” after that inbred line. Why not take the time to develop an argument against a transphobic response instead of name-calling?

16. I loved every bit of the parade, including this performance. I applaud Macy’s for showcasing a variety of Broadway shows. And I agree with Will, this is not the first time that Macy’s has showcased a show that was a bit on the racy side for some people. Get over it, and last I checked it was Thanksgiving, what do a lot of those floats, balloons, and performers have to do with Thanksgiving???

17. Dolly Davis says:

The award winning cast sang about RISING UP, ACCEPTANCE and CHANGE. All American ideals of courage, equality and freedom. I commend Macy’s for their strong position for supporting COURAGE, EQUALITY and FREEDOM. The transgender community is targeted by the grandstanding hate groups that have no relationships (work, family, friends..etc) with any real transgender people (that they know of). I am proud to be transgender, because it is who I am, it is not a lifestyle choice. THANK YOU MACY’S for giving us all hope that America is not just for the over represented, privileged main stream!!!

18. […] was way too cold to show very much skin!), right wingers across America took to social networks to voice their outrage at NBC for broadcasting […]

19. […] was way too cold to show very much skin!), right wingers across America took to social networks to voice their outrage at NBC for broadcasting […]

20. […] And let me tell you… the haters came out in droves… The bigots went bonkers… […]

21. Eliza says:

When are many Americans going to grow up and become mature adults? Name calling shows your lack of class, honor, grace, integrity and maturity. Who are you to judge? Only God can pass judgement. Yes, you have a right to disagree. You do not have a right to push your self righteous, hypocritical and ridiculous religious views on others. You do not have a right to treat those from the LGBT community as a second class person.

22. Joyce says:

This is a fairly tame number compared to what a lot of pop artist are doing today. I’m not seeing the sexually explicit material that was suggested in the comments at all! Bigots, plain and simple!
    The message is about being yourself and understand those different than you. Nothing wrong with that at all! Go Macy’s

23. […] was way too cold to show very much skin!), right wingers across America took to social networks to voice their outrage at NBC for broadcasting […]

24. It’s so sad that there is so much hate in the world.What ever happened to LOVE YOUR FELLOW MAN?If the name hadn’t been mentioned most of you haters wouldn’t have even known that they were DRAG QUEENS.Macy’s is up with the time and I applaud them for the desision to include this production.

25. Allen says:

James, tolerence for bigotry? Sorry. I don’t have tolerence for narrow minded bigots

Karla, I predict your children will leave home as soon as possible. I can’t imagine a good parent teaching their children intolerance. Yes, go back into your cave. You are an appalling narrow minded bigot

26. BobR says:

I thought the performance was fine and of course fine the objections of conservatives to be unfounded. But what I found even more hateful than the tweets published here is the final paragraph offered by the author (“knuckle dragging, trailer park dwelling neanderthal bigots shop at Macy’s at all let alone afford it. But while these transphobic inbred assholes rant on and bash macy’s about the inclusion of the musical number”) Too bad Mr. Kohler chose to sink as low as those he complains about. Name-calling and making fun of poor people (according to Mr. Kohler they’re poor) is really unwarranted and completely negates the message. Much better/more intelligent/more enlightened commentaries to be found elsewhere.

27. Ian says:

Hey Everyone,

The Show is called Kinky Boots not the number that was performed. Also, you explain things they way you explain anything else to your child open and honestly. Children should understand the concept of dressing up and performing as children do so all the time as a form of learning and play. How do you explain Halloween and costumes to your kids? How do you explain the number of random things your child encounters everyday? You just do that is how.

28. Ian says:

Hey Everyone,

The Show is called Kinky Boots not the number that was performed. Also, you explain things the way you explain anything else to your child open and honestly. Children should understand the concept of dressing up and performing as children do so all the time as a form of learning and play. How do you explain Halloween and costumes to your kids? How do you explain the number of random things your child encounters everyday? You just do that is how.

29. Mary Irons says:

Macy’s thanks for allowing the themes of diversity and acceptance to be part of a family values parade. The day diversity and acceptance stop being part of the Macy’s parade and Christmas will be the day we stop honoring what this is about.

30. […] of a musical number from the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical Kinky Boots angered conservatives, Back 2 Stonewall reported, and they took to Twitter, Facebook and other forms of social media to attack […]

31. gabreal says:

It is outrageous that the Kinky boots segment would be seen as pushing sexual inaction onto children the play/Movie were not about sex at all. It was about striving against adversity. A lesson all can learn.the sexual preferences and life esthetic was ssecondary. The use of family and wholesome get thrown into the mix whenever a bigot is confronted by a lifestyle not known or understood by said bigot. Maybe if they would have watched long enough, they could have learned a thing or too about tolerance and shared in the great story that is Kinky Boots. A company that chose not to isolate themselves from different demographics, but to embrace them. Kudos to Macy’s for doing the same. The nuclear family’s definition needs to be broadened. It needs to change with the times. It is much to easy for bigots to shout foul about things they refuse to grasp. Why should Culture and edification be sacrificed due to the archaic view of these uneducated hateful few. And I do mean few. Soon they will become what they hate….and by that I mean..hate mongers will become the minority. Love understanding tolerance and education will see to that. But until then these hateful few will spout off rhetoric in the name of family. Kinky Boots, the transaction gay bi and lesion community is not what we should fear. It is the ignorance of the parents these children should be protected from!!

32. Patrick says:

There was nothing sexual about this. If they were twerking or deep throating the canes I could see it, but come on!!! A child would never know that these are female impersonators, they would just see elaborate costumes and hear a catchy song. I would worry much more about the violence in TV, movies, and video games. Funny how if a man puts on a dress or they show a gay man or woman it’s not family friendly, but blood and guts are ok to watch.

33. Samuel says:

I must say, I am a bit surprised at Macy’s chutzpah; more than a little concerned that this looks to have been edited out of the broadcast I saw down here in the south…

34. J says:

Leave the classism out of this please. There are plenty of bigots who can afford to shop at Macy’s.

35. Carlisle Baker says:

Am I really reading these stupid comments. … everything about the parade was beautifully done… Bravo Macys!!

36. Macy’s has for many many years been an open sponsor of countless PRIDE Festivals around this great country. I applaud them once again! FYI: If you want to attack someone PLEASE come directly at any drag queen you wish. Many of us are former Seals, Commandos and Special Forces. Just PROUD enough of ourselves to put you out of our misery. And as Eddie Murpy once said…”There’s NOTHING worse than having your @$$ beat in public by a tranny!”

All my love
    Renica Justrenica

37. susan maasch says:

I loved it, my kids loved it, the grandparents loved it, what is the problem here???? And why does it bother people that Macy’s shows a range of people, ages, genders, diversity, thats a good thing. Great job Macy’s. This was a award winning Broadway show, we all loved it. Go pick on someone else you conservative strange uncultured people. Your kids will not be harmed, calm down.

38. Pablo Vidal pacheco says:

People who say that this show is disgusting they are disgusting themselves. Evidently they can’t even accept themselves. You need God in your life. God does not see color, race, or sex.

39. @conservations… jesus, get over it… this is just plain old family fun… remember when rent did their promotion in the parade a few years ago… rent was hard-core and dealt with severe gay issues… this one video post in the macy’s parade was only about men dressed as women aka drag queens.. just get over it!! you have seen drag queens in your college lives.. you can’t keep sheltering your children… this is the real world… homosexual come in many races, religions, creeds, colors, breed and many differences you can think of in the human race… you and your children will encounter these aforementioned people all the time… there, in fact, is an outed boxer, soccer player and football player… pumpkins, we are everywhere… get over it… don’t get your panties in a bunch just because you are conservative republicans… open your minds and live free… be open to us…

40. pgobrien says:

I know there are lots of jerks living in trailer parks, but there are lots of really nice people living in them, too. When you’re going after a bunch of people for being bigoted assholes, it’s not nice to perpetuate a nasty meme about ANOTHER bunch of people who have to feel bad every time they read that snotty “trailer trash” sort of language. Folks who can afford to keep a trailer roof over the heads of their families and kids — who might even own their home there, but can’t afford an apartment or a house — deserve better. I’d love it if our country would stop disrespecting so many people based on these nasty little prejudices that catch all sort of perfectly nice people in their snotty little dragnets. “Knuckle dragging”? Oh, yes! But drop the trailer park dissing.

41. pgobrien says:

… last word from me on it … you know dissing people for living in a trailer park is not gender bias, it’s class bias, economic prejudice. it stinks like any other prejudice.

42. […] Conservatives immediately took to Twitter, Facebook, and other forms of social media to bash Macy’s for the inclusion of a musical number from the Tony Award winning Broadway musical Kinky Boots in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, reports Back 2 Stonewall. […]

43. The problem is there are small children that were watching, I am not a right wing person. But there is a time and place and this was not the it. So after a month not only have I stopped buying anything from that store I am making a point not to buy anything from the company’s that sponsored it.