Let’s take stock of last nights 2nd episode “meh” second episode of Season 4 of The Walking Dead: Infected:
WARNING: There be SPOILERS below.
It is now a little over 6 months from the end of Season 3 which makes it roughly 1 year and 4 months into the Walker Apocalypse. (Because no one says the word “zombie”)
In a nod, or rip off to Stephen King’s The Stand, a Captian Trips like superflu invades the prison and kills a Harry Potter look-a-like throwaway character named Patrick who kills another throwaway character with no name in his sleep and the virus spreads through D Block killing even MORE throwaway characters we didn’t know. Two annoying little girls watch their dad die, yet another character the audience has no vested interests in and Tyreese’s new girlfriend Karen who we do know from last season gets sick and then torched. (like people don’t know that its probably the whack job from Episode 1 who likes his vino.) Michonne cries while she holds baby Judith, and worst of all — adorable little piggies being sliced and left as walker-chum. To lead them away from the gates which haven’t been shored up in the 6 months they have been at the prison.
RIP squealing piggies we cared about and knew more about you than the other walker bait characters they offed in this episode.
This and that.
* Rick and Carl are finally back in the gun shooting game.
* Michonne had a pretty strange response to being stuck with Judith, and it begs the question of whether she had a child before the zombie apocalypse. Still not much is known about her past, and she seemed pretty upset when Beth brought up the point that there’s no word for a parent who has lost a child. Hopefully this is a tease of a bit more of her backstory that will be explored in future episodes it was the most interesting part of last night.
* Daryl (the hottest redneck on television) wants Rick to return as leader, the new Prison survivors (who probably will all die anyway) are looking to Daryl as a leader and he hasn’t had time to lighten his hair back to the light brown it was in Season 1.
* Carl rats out Carol’s knife teaching class and Rick doesn’t care.
* And STILL no LGBT characters have been introduced as survivors.