Tony Perkins. President of the officially recognized LGBT hate group the Family Research Council appeared on cable news networks over 56 times during the 2012 GOP primary to provide commentary on behalf of “social conservatives” and NOT ONCE was he identified as the leader of an anti-gay hate group.
And the biggest offender in cable news of hosting Perkins? MSNBC with a whopping 24 times, followed by FOX News with 17 appearances, and CNN with 15.
The Family Research Council (FRC) has been listed as a Anti-Gay Hate Group since 2010 at the Southern Poverty Law Center’s (SPLC) but cable news networks somehow find this so irrelevant that they never mention it.
As president of FRC, Tony Perkins has promoted a number of vile and hateful smears about gays and lesbians even on some of the same networks that he appears as a political pundit on, including:
- “It Gets Better” Project Tries To “Recruit” Kids Into A “Lifestyle” Of “Perversion.” [Right Wing Watch, 8/18/11]
- “Research Is Overwhelming” That Gay Men Are More Likely To Molest Children. [MSNBC, Hardball, 11/29/10]
- Gay Teens Commit Suicide Because They Know Being Gay Is “Abnormal.” [National Public Radio, 10/26/10]
- Anti-Bullying Programs Promote “Indoctrination Into Homosexuality.” [Fox News, America's Newsroom, 5/26/11]
- Gay Activists Are Intolerant, Hateful, Spiteful Pawns Of The Devil. [Right Wing Watch, 5/3/11]
- Senators Who Vote For DADT Repeal Will Have “The Blood Of Innocent Soldiers On Their Hands.” [Right Wing Watch, 12/16/10]
- “Kids Do Worse In These Same-Sex Households. They’re More Susceptible To Violence.” [Fox News, Fox & Friends Sunday, 4/24/11]
- Gays Are Trying To “Spread Fear And Intimidation So That They Can Disrupt And Destabilize” The Legal System, Like Terrorists. [Good As You, 4/29/11]
But not once has he been called out as a leader of a hate group on any of the cable news networks.
Not only is this irresponsible media journalism. It also help give Tony Perkin’s an air of legitimacy and is an insult to LGBT Americans.