The Walking Dead To Introduce Gay Characters In Season 3 Prison Storyline?

1. ferretrick says:

Oh, come on. Homosexuality does happen in prison among otherwise straight men. Acknowledging that fact is not an insult unless you’re hypersensitive. And you are wrong about Modern Family as well. Certainly Mitchell and Cam have some stereotypicly gay traits. You know who else has those? ACTUAL GAY PEOPLE. Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. It’s when the stereotype is all that there is to the character that it’s offensive, and that is not the casee with Cam and Mitchell.

2. Jeni says:

WOW.. so because there is a show on, it has to have openly lgbt characters or its not okay? I watch the show to see zombies and people running and surviving FROM the zombies around them – not to watch who is having a love relationship with who – same sex, opposite sex or any way whatsoever. Geez

Of course not. But considering the show has had a veritable United Nations of characters it would be nice to have at least 1.

• Dean Hutchinson says:

How DARE straights accuse US of being oversensitive when they’re pampered by the media WHEREVER they fucking look and all we get are sorry-assed stereotypes or invisibility! Well, fuck THEM royally, damn it! What the above posters seem to miss is the fact that, between zombie attacks, all the straight women are doing is gossiping, feeding and/or fucking their men, or the men are fighting each other and/or talking about getting some woman laid. Since when would straights be BETTER able to survive the zombie apocalypse, who, pampered as they are in a straight-run/straight-reinforcing/straight-entertaining world, would be far less able to adapt to a hostile environment than gays and lesbians who are BORN into a world that is full of potential hostility –and worse, gay bashings/lynchings, anyone– at every turn? The heterosexuality of the figures so dominates the storyline that it’s almost made me side up with the zombies and start rooting for them instead. :D

• Aerick says:

Really? The Walking Dead seems to be practically dripping with heterosexual relationships and drama. Some have even pointed out that the zombie situation is more of a backdrop environmental factor for all the human to human drama happening there.

But yeah, after awhile in that show it has gotten to me how utterly heterosexually focused all the relationships and drama going on is. It would be nice to have at least a few sympathetic characters in the show who identify as lgbtq or such just to lighten the thick straight-person stench that show gives off.

3. JohnnyG says:

The show’s lack of gay characters is really getting on my nerves. The country folk presented are subtly typed as moderate Dems (Lori is anti death-penalty, Hershel is sympathetic about the vilification of AIDS victims, Rick is too much of a nice guy to agree with anything Rush Limbaugh says.) Still the show comes off as a paradise for homophobes. Maybe it has to do with the target audience. It’s based on a comic book and comic book nerds are notoriously homophobic. They’re losers who never grew up, so they have to pride themselves on something. They may not have ever had sex with a woman, but at least they want to, so the cling to that for a feeling of superiority.

4. Dr. Skyler says:

Hace you ever been to prison?

I really doubt it.

I personally hope they include Dexter and Andrew. I think they are important to the story. I dont think the fact that they are both black has anything to do with it. Your simply looking for something thats not there. If you had actually read the comics, you would know that they have another gay couple farther along in the story. They are totally normal and a big part of the group. Dex and Andrew are supposed to make you uneasy, ones a murderer and the other a drug addict, far worse than anything your throwing a fit about.

The Walking Dead is supposed to be gritty and raw, not PC. I like how this upsets you, but the governor getting his genitals cut off, and his several rapes is of no concern, and not the least bit offensive. Picking and choosing.

Actually I am not picking and choosing just stating one part of it. I could do a detailed article of the walking dead but it would be longer than the 99 issues of the comic.

Yes there IS a homsexual couple MUCH further along in the story.

My point is that the changes that have been made to the storyline and charcters in the first 2 seasons (Especially since the first season cast/campground was a freakin United nations and the addition of Daryl Kirkman could have added a strong gay character.

5. tijua says:

I am a gay guy and I am truly offended that there is people who think like you out there. First, your comment about modern familly is completely irrelevant because the concept of the show is based on stereotype. ALL the characters are stereotypes. For walking dead, I am too wishing that there will be a gay character but it doesn’t need to have one at all cost. I don’t like when a show does positive discrimination by having a certain type of person just for the sake of having it. There is no gay characters in the comic untill the prison so there is no need to have one before. Yes the gay story line at the prison isn’t the most beautifull but it is what it is. Those guys just had sex. I’ll be able to wait longer for the introduction of a relevant gay couple.

Just so you know. I am a gay guy and since the first deason was a veritable United nations of characters many of which weren’t in the comic book. Including Daryl there was no reason not to add one.

Look its not for the sake of having one at all costs. Why should it cost anything? But to ignore the fact that there are gay people while having almost every other group represented is just wrong. We do exist and a few of us would survive the Zombie apocolypse. Even in the comics a gay couple isn’t inroduced till much much later and meet Aaron and Eric who won’t appear until the survivors move on from the prison in search of a new home. Probably season 5 or 6 by the looks of things.

There have been MUCH deviation from the comics. Daryl, Carol should be dead by now. Herschel should be dead. Dale doesn’t die till much later in the comics and is the victim of cannibalism. So Kirkman really isn’t following the comic to the letter to begin with.

6. Shanahan says:

I just saw this post and am particularly not thrilled by your attitude of the shows “deliberate” lack of gay people. I don’t believe that because there is a United Nations of characters there should be a homosexual character because they can survive the zombie apocalypse. I’m at this point where I believe everyone should have equal rights, gay marriage included, to say no to that just makes you an asshole, but who the hell cares if you are gay? I couldn’t care less, if you are good for you, but stop acting like a creative piece of work needs to follow a checklist to make sure every single type of person has been represented. There’s no single reason that the Dexter and Andrew subplot should be avoided because it will be offensive to the LGBT crowd. We should appreciate a good show for what it is, not because it may not be what you would prefer. Sorry for long comment. And thanks for the post though I still enjoyed it, I just don’t agree with you.

7. Daniel says:

Great article. I agree. Only reason I watched TWD was for the possibility of a decent gay character(s) since if I want to watch shows just about straight people I can do that anytime on any channel 24 hours/day 365 days/year.

8. Keri says:

I completely agree with the comments made by Tijua and Shanahan.

9. Keri says:

And Ferretrick for that matter.

10. jack says:

Merle Dixon is gay….

11. Me says:

Shouldn’t there be one of everyone on the show? How many countries are there? Shouldn’t we have one gay, one lesbian, one transsexual, one transvestite, one blind person, one one-armed person, one with big ears, one with a big nose. Who is the Jewish character on the show? Who is the cancer survivor? Who is the orphan?

If you want a show that has everything that YOU want then go write one yourself. Oh, look at that a bunch of gay men whining on here.

12. cody says:

well this never happened. and I have to say I agree with them adding some gay characters. I mean its not like they all died and only straight people lived. however there are two main gay characters in the comic that live in a community in Washington. hopefully they don’t take those characters out. especially since they took the two twin boys character storylines and gave them to two girls who had absolutely nothing to do with the series. and since they kept carol around even though she died before Hershel. and its not about having to have gay characters in it to be good. its about 1. acknowledging that gay people do exist, and 2. giving gay people somebody to relate to on the show. as for the whole wanting to watch people fighting zombies, well this is the wrong series for that. in the comics and even recently in the t.v. show its stated or shown that zombies aren’t a threat unless its a horde. hell in the comics rick and carl and 1 of those gay characters I mentioned above take out a horde on their own. the biggest recognizable threat is other people.

1. May 21, 2012

[...] Season 3 starts “The Prison” storyline and as Back2Stonewall.com has previously posted, in the graphic novel as part of this storyline two gay prisioner appear. [...]

2. October 31, 2012

[...] storyline in the graphic novel belongs to that of Dexter and Andrew a cliché storyline of “gay prison sex with a down low inmate relationship” and  while the [...]