MSNBC Hosts Anti- Gay Hate Group Spokespeople Almost As Many Times As Fox News
A new study by Media Matters proves that despite the designation as an anti-gay hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), The Family Research Council and its President Tony Perkins are regularly treated as a credible and legitimate political commentators by CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News with MSNBC hosting FRC spokespeople almost as many times as FOX NEWS in a one year period.
Despite the fact that the FRC makes false claims about the LGBT community based on discredited research and junk science. In a one year period between 11/29/10 and 11/29/11 FRC spokespersons – including Tony Perkins, Peter Sprigg, and Ken Blackwell – have been invited to appear on FOX News 23 times, MSNBC 18 times, and CNN 11 times
Tony Perkins the FRC President himself is reported to have “failed to report an illegal conspiracy by antiabortion activists to his superiors” while acting as a reserve police officer in Baton Rouge in 1992, has ties to the Louisiana chapter of the Council of Conservative Citizens, a white supremacist group that once described African-Americans as a “retrograde species of humanity.” and also while working as campaign manager for Louisiana state legislator Woody Jenkins in 1996, Tony Perkins paid former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke $82,000 for his mailing list, and then tried to hide involvement with Duke.
But yet MSNBC finds him legitimate enough to have him on as a spokesperson and pundit 11 times since the SLPC has officially designated the FRC as a “hate group” alongside the KKK and Stornfront
As president of FRC, Perkins has promoted a number of vile and hateful smears about gays and lesbians, including:
- “It Gets Better” Project Tries To “Recruit” Kids Into A “Lifestyle” Of “Perversion.” [Right Wing Watch, 8/18/11]
- “Research Is Overwhelming” That Gay Men Are More Likely To Molest Children. [MSNBC, Hardball, 11/29/11]
- Gay Teens Commit Suicide Because They Know Being Gay Is “Abnormal.” [National Public Radio, 10/26/10]
- Anti-Bullying Programs Promote “Indoctrination Into Homosexuality.” [Fox News, America’s Newsroom, 5/26/11]
- Gay Activists Are Intolerant, Hateful, Spiteful Pawns Of The Devil. [Right Wing Watch, 5/3/11]
- Senators Who Vote For DADT Repeal Will Have “The Blood Of Innocent Soldiers On Their Hands.” [Right Wing Watch, 12/16/10]
- “Kids Do Worse In These Same-Sex Households. They’re More Susceptible To Violence.” [Fox News, Fox & Friends Sunday, 4/24/11]
- Gays Are Trying To “Spread Fear And Intimidation So That They Can Disrupt And Destabilize” The Legal System, Like Terrorists. [Good As You, 4/29/11]
The fact that so-called “legitimate” news sources such as MSNBC and to a lesser extent CNN even allow Perkin’s and his hate group spokespeople in the news studio, let alone on the air itself as experts of any kind is not only irresponsible it is also dangerous because every appearance can possibly bolsters their influence, and give them more of a sense of legitimacy to those who do not know their hateful behind the scenes rhetoric.
There is absolutely no good reason why a group that spreads such bile, hate, and lies should be used as on air pundits
I have asked many times for GLAAD to pick -up this battle and every time my request has fallen on deaf ears. Because i sup[pose to them Doogie Houser saying the word “tranny” is more important.
So I guess its up to us.
Call (212) 664-4444 to speak to someone at MSNBC news and tell them to STOP using hate group spokespeople, The Family Research Council and Tony Perkins. And until they do, change the channel.
Enough is enough.
Read Media Matters Full Report HERE