HBO’s “HUNG” Star Thomas Jane: “I Turned Tricks With Guys, But Chose To Be Straight”

1. youngmattt says:

This is an interesting story. But I’m not sure if I agree with your viewpoint. I think this actor sharing that he has experimented sexually is great. It’s honest. I think that there are many people in society for which sexuality is sliding scale and you pulling him to pieces with accusations that he simply “sucked dick to survive” doesn’t do anyone any favours. You are just further pigeon holing and separating us. It’s offensive, and we as a community should aim to be better.

If there are a few people out there that read his story about experimentation, which does come from a hetero-viewpoint, and then think “hey, maybe it’s not all that crazy, maybe it’s not such a taboo”, then that’s a great thing! He chose to share this bit of his story, we should be grateful (or at least neutral!) and certainly not tear him down.

PS – and as if a PR company would release a story like this to save an ailing sitcom. Seriously!

PPS – I agree that there is a need for reporting and discussion that is free of “politically correct bullshit”. However there is a clear difference between that and negative-for-the-sake-of-being-negative reporting.

Hey Youngmatt

As always you are are more than entitled to your opinion on this as I am I.

Am I reporting “negatively-for-the-sake-of-being-negative” I think not.

I reported this story negatively because I was truly offened by the fact that 1. He made it seem that being gay is a “choice”. Which it is not. He did what he had to do to surive and noweher in the piece did he say he enjoyed it. Thats a huge difference between choosing to be gay or straight, because there is no choice. You are born a certain way and thats that. And for jane to foolishly say things like that is the spreading of false information. And would a PR company do something like this to save an ailing sitcom? Who knows. They have done worse.

Oh and point 2. HOW DARE he compare himself to James Dean!

2. edmund says:

Not an uncommon experience. The only thing uncommon is that Thomas talked about it publicly. Times are bad, man, in case you didn’t notice. To survive many of us do get down on our knees and sometimes on our hands too. Often said, it is survival of the fittest. Nowadays it is survival of the willing. And, it is not confined to out-of-work actors only.

3. joey says:

this is the same story he’s told for well over a year. It’s nothing new.

4. Don says:

The author of this article comes off as really bitchy and petty. What should be an article about Thomas opening up about his sexuality and sharing it with the world, is turned into a nasty slam.

Kind of a shi**y thing to do as far as I’m concerned. The man makes a statement that helps gays find more acceptance and invoke a mind of openess and you use it as a chance to put him down. Let’s insult more people and see how much farther we can set the movement back.

• TJ says:

It makes a statement all right. He says that being gay is a choice “up to a point,” which does nothing to help gays find acceptance. It does the opposite by inviting more straight people to ask the questions “what made you decide to be gay?” or “when did you turn gay?” as if to say all homosexuals either make this choice or catch it like a communicable disease. If this was just a story about him opening up about his sexuality and sharing it with the world, I would agree with you. Instead, he romanticizes his stint as a prostitute using the words opportunity and experimentation. He says that after having sex with men for money, he knows what it’s like to be gay and he chose not to be. Openness is important, but so is discretion. He white-washed a background of gay-for-pay and homelessness and tried to make a statement about having the choice of homosexuality. The author of the article merely tried to clear some of the BS from the surface of the story.

• Don says:

That’s not what I got from Jane’s disclosure. To me, he’s openly bi and decided he wanted to stick with women. I was openly gay, got involved in the church and then decided that maybe I was straight afterall. I married and had 2 kids. Four and a half disastrous years later, (for many reasons beyond my sexuality), I divorced.

Now married with a husband, I’m finally happy. It took a lot of searching and making mistakes to get to where I am now. I’ve slept with as many women as men. Since I have a husband, I obviously made the choice to stick with men. To insinuate sexuality is cut and dry, is a mistake. It most certainly isn’t. If Jane decided to stick with women, so be it. He was honest enough to come clean about his past. He wasn’t obligated to and could have denied accusations had they come forth. Look at John Travolta. I don’t see his disclosure as glamorous by any means. Just “here’s the facts do what you want with them”.

Lance Bass and many others have said it was the gay community that they were threatened and bullied by. What gives? Let people be them selves and stop the bitching about it.