A new report out by Equality Matters points out that while both CNN and MSNBC have made efforts to combat and cover the growing problem of anti-LGBT bullying, Fox News has consistently railed against efforts to reduce anti-LGBT bullying and the network and is virtually silent when it comes to actually reporting on cases of bullying-related suicide and instead portrays anti-gay groups and individuals as victims of alleged intimidation and bullying by gays and lesbians.
Fox’s Routinely Criticizes Anti-Bullying Efforts. Fox has a history of criticizing anti-bullying efforts as overreaching and unnecessary.
- Fox Ran Five Segments In September Attacking New Jersey’s Anti-Bullying Law. According to an Equality Matters analysis**, Fox News devoted five segments in the month of September to criticizing New Jersey’s new anti-bullying law for allegedly being too expansive.
- Fox Ran Multiple Segments Attacking California Gender Diversity Lessons. Fox News ran multiple segments criticizing a California public school for introducing students to lessons on gender diversity. One Fox guest objected to the lesson by stating: “Bullying is such an excuse because kids do not bully each other based on gender.” [Equality Matters, 5/27/11]
- Fox Repeatedly Attacked California’s FAIR Education Act. Fox News repeatedly attacked California’s FAIR Education Act, which requires public schools to recognize the contributions of LGBT historical figures. Fox guests called LGBT history lessons “irrelevant” “propaganda.” [Equality Matters, 7/15/11]
Fox Promoted Stories That Depicted Anti-Gay Groups And Individuals As Victims. Fox News promotes stories that depict anti-gay groups and individuals as victims of alleged intimidation and bullying by gays and lesbians.
- Fox Ran Nine Segments On Vanderbilt’s Non-Discrimination Policy. According to an Equality Matters analysis***, Fox News was the only major network to criticize Vanderbilt University’s non-discrimination policy, which prohibits religious groups from excluding LGBT students. Fox ran six segments about the university’s policy between September and October.
- Fox Interviewed A Texas Student Who Was Suspended After Stating That Homosexuality Is Wrong. [Fox News, America’s News HQ, via Equality Matters, 10/4/11]
- Fox Interviewed Anti-Gay New York Town Clerk. Fox interviewed Rose Marie Belforti, a New York town clerk who refused to sign marriage licenses for same-sex couples because of her religious beliefs. [Fox News, Happening Now, via Equality Matters, 9/29/11]