FIGHT BACK! – OHIO GOP Sneaks In Attacks On Gays Alongside Unions In Senate Bill SB 5
Ohio ReTHUGlicans and Tea Party loons are not just content screwing over Ohio’s Sate Employees, Unions and workers rights its semms but have also secretly added an attack into the controversial Senate Bill 5.
Ohio Gov. John Kasich is pushing pretty much the exact same bill as Scott Walker in Wisconsin. Known as the bill would strip collective bargaining rights from Ohio public employees.. SB5 doesn’t only affect teachers, but it will also impact Firefighters, Police, Nurses and all Government Employees. SB 5 is a piece of legislation, so Kasich isn’t trying to implement this under the cover of a budget bill. However, he has said that if he doesn’t get what he wants out of SB 5, he will put those items into the next budget bill. , but
Not Kaisch nor ONE GOP/Tea Party backer can explain how much money SB 5 would save if anything.
A VERY REALLY INTERESTING Section of SB5 is Sec. 3101.01. The GOP of Ohio which pushedf and passed one of the worst anti-gay DOMA laws on the books seems to finds it necessary to sneak to MORE anti-gay measures into the middle of SB5 that would permanently ensure any recognition of any kind of gay union weather it be Domestic Partnership, Civil Union. verbotten.
Sec. 3101.01. (A) Male persons of the age of eighteen years, and female persons of the age of sixteen years, not nearer of kin than second cousins, and not having a husband or wife living, may be joined in marriage. A marriage may only be entered into by one man and one woman. A minor shall first obtain the consent of the minor’s parents, surviving parent, parent who is designated the residential parent and legal custodian of the minor by a court of competent jurisdiction, guardian, or any one of the following who has been awarded permanent custody of the minor by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction:
(1) An adult person;
(2) The department of job and family services or any child welfare organization certified by the department;
(3) A public children services agency.
(B) For the purposes of division (A) of this section, a minor shall not be required to obtain the consent of a parent who resides in a foreign country, has neglected or abandoned the minor for a period of one year or longer immediately preceding the minor’s application for a marriage license, has been adjudged incompetent, is an inmate of a state mental or correctional institution, has been permanently deprived of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of the minor and the right to have the minor live with the parent and to be the legal custodian of the minor by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction, or has been deprived of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of the minor and the right to have the minor live with the parent and to be the legal custodian of the minor by the appointment of a guardian of the person of the minor by the probate court or by another court of competent jurisdiction.
(1) Any marriage between persons of the same sex is against the strong public policy of this state. Any marriage between persons of the same sex shall have no legal force or effect in this state and, if attempted to be entered into in this state, is void ab initio and shall not be recognized by this state.
(2) Any marriage entered into by persons of the same sex in any other jurisdiction shall be considered and treated in all respects as having no legal force or effect in this state and shall not be recognized by this state.
(3) The recognition or extension by the state of the specific statutory benefits of a legal marriage to nonmarital relationships between persons of the same sex or different sexes is against the strong public policy of this state. Any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of this state, as defined in section 9.82 of the Revised Code, that extends the specific statutory benefits of legal marriage to nonmarital relationships between persons of the same sex or different sexes is void ab initio. Nothing in division of this section shall be construed to do either of the following:
(a) Prohibit the extension of specific benefits otherwise enjoyed by all persons, married or unmarried, to nonmarital relationships between persons of the same sex or different sexes, including the extension of benefits conferred by any statute that is not expressly limited to married persons, which includes but is not limited to benefits available under Chapter 4117. of the Revised Code;
(b) Affect the validity of private agreements that are otherwise valid under the laws of this state.
(4) Any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other state, country, or other jurisdiction outside this state that extends the specific benefits of legal marriage to nonmarital relationships between persons of the same sex or different sexes shall be considered and treated in all respects as having no legal force or effect in this state and shall not be recognized by this state.
We should have expected this coming from Ohio’s extreme anti-gay GOP and Kasich who supported Ohio’s SuperDOMA’s constitutional amendment. and as Ohio 15th District Blog pointed out, in Congress Kasich voted to ban gay adoptions in our nation’s capitol. but SB 5 is one nasty piece of work and should be fought against tooth and nail by the LGBT Community, Unions, Ohio’s middle class and anyone who has one modicum of sanity.
We CANNOT allow the GOP and the crazy loons of the Tea Party to destroy the REAL America any longer. To make average hard working citizens pay for the States mistakes and to use the Bill to to further big business plans to strip safety protections for workers and bring America’s working class back to the unregulated sweatshops of the 1800s and to use it to promote bigotry and hatred is unconscionable and should not be tolerated.
It’s time to show the GOP and the Tea Party that we have had enough of them trying to destroy us!
ACT UP AGAIN and FIGHT BACK! For YOUR Rights and YOUR Life!
Statehouse Mobilization Against SB 5 and Kasich’s Anti-Worker Agenda
Location: Ohio Statehouse
Mobilization Against SB 5 and Kasich’s Anti-Worker Agenda
Location: Canton Memorial Civic Center, 1101 Market Ave N
Description: Workers and community members will mobilize in Canton to oppose Senate Bill 5 and Kasich’s anti-worker, anti-community agenda.
Rally with Jesse Jackson for All Workers, Our Schools and Our Community in Columbus
Location: Teamsters, 555 East Rich St.
Description: Rev. Jesse Jackson and labor and community members will rally on Wednesday to rally against legislation that will weaken the middle class and put our schools, our safety and our communities in jeopardy.