• Uncategorized

My Response To Alvin McEwan’s Article at Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters "The LGBT Community Should NOT Sit This Election Out"

1. NG says:

Alvin McEwen is an uncle tom. I've known this ever since he threw me under the bus in what I often personally refer to as the great gay blog freakout of 2007, when he and several other bloggers and activists panicked when Peter LaBarbera attacked me on his website and completely violated my privacy.

Every now and then, I often republish another blog piece called Coward Activists; It was written with him (and others) in mind.

2. gaylib says:

McEwan is a piss-poor writer, and an even WORSE activist. His "reaction" diatribe makes absolutely NO sense, no matter how you try to wrap your head around it. The real reaction is his cowardly attack on his own community at the due to his insecurity driven allegiance to the Democratic Party. McEwan needs to just STFU and go away. Why is it that the biggest cowards and suck ups always have the biggest mouths?

3. BlackTsunami says:

Dear Sir,

the piece I wrote was a response to the nonsense I hear about lgbts sittiing out this election. To do so would be counterproductive to our struggle. And yes I have a problem with the lgbt community consistently being "reactive" instead of "proactive" We gather together after a tragedy, hugging each other and the like but what are we doing to keep the tragedy from taking place?

Please bear in mind that I am no one's shill but a free man with my own mind. My background determines who I am and I decide how I will act as a gay man. That's another problem in our community. Some self-appointed individuals call themselves setting the rules and the dictates of what our history is and demanding that folks adhere to them. Well I don't and I am tired of all of this useless anger, these ugly words – "I am an Uncle Tom," "my writing is piss poor," etc. Yes I get it. you are angry but the question is what are you going to do with it? What are you going to do about it? Probably nothing but stew in your juices and all people names. It's unfortunately what some of us do best. Two more things – even those in the civil rights movement realized that proaction is better than reaction. I suggest you look up the full history before citing it. Just because the struggle for lgbt equality and African-American equality is similar doesn't mean you can cite it without knowing what you are talking about.

4. Will Kohl says:

Oh well then by all means enlighten me. Please tell me where the Civil Rights battle would be today if it were not for reaction in the form of Marches, Rallies, and in some cases even riots to they suffered.

The "ninsense" that you read comes from a recent AP article. But in your post you don;t refer to it as "nonsense" you react it to outwardly at the gay community and trash some of the mosy monumental movements our battle has made. And actually proaction AND reaction is the best strategy for the civil rights movement and I don;t know where you have been for the past two years and what you have been doing but 1000's upon 100's in the LGBT Community have called Congress and Obama with thier pleas for Equality landing on deaf ears.

If YOU are tired of the "anger" and the "useless words" then perhaps YOU should be doing something other than attackiung your own community and inadvertantly setting them up for blame if the Democrats lose big. You should know that the LGBT Community does not have that type of voting power.

Your post was dangerous, not well thought out, and reeked of being an apologist or at the very least living in a fantasy world.

5. gaylib says:

This is definitely a set up to blame the gays for the Democrats impending implosion. It goes without saying that the person who is most to blame, Barack Obama, as usual, gets a pass. But among voters,who is REALLY to blame if it comes down to the wire? How about young voters? Take this stat, for example:

"One statistic from Rock the Vote, the most aggressive organization behind youthful political participation, illustrates the difference between now and 2008 — just 280,000 young voters signed up in its midterm elections voter drive, a fraction of the 2.5 million who eagerly put their name on voter forms two years ago. "

There's your "enthusiasm gap" right there. And then there are African American voters. Will they come out in the same numbers as they did when Obama was on the ballot? Of course no one is going to touch THAT third rail. Just ask anyone who raised an eyebrow about Prop 8. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that those two groups, two of the most fervent supporters of Obama, will determine the outcome of this election (if it is even close, that is). Why do you think Obama has been campaigning so vigorously to those groups? It is a shame, but politicians go where the votes are. They are rallying AA's and youth because they need them. Us? Not so much.

6. Anonymous says:

Oh, and while your in the mood to lecture people about who they should vote for, how about starting with the President? He won't even endorse the Democrat for Gov in RI because Chafee called in a favor. If he's not above crossing party lines, why should I be?

7. Anonymous says:

Chitown Kev here:

I have to agree with gaylib in this case, especially as people felt free to unjustifiably blame the gays when Scott Brown was elected.

People also ignore the historical trends when it comes to midterm elections (the party of the president in power almost always loses Congressional seats…sometimes a lot of seats as happened in, say, 1916, 1928, 1938, 1946, 1954, 1966, 1974, 1994, 2006).

No, history began on November 4, 2008 and Obama and the democrats are supposed to be immune from ALL of that.

Rally the vote, yes, but the type of scapegoating that has been taking place in the blogosphere already is non-nuanced, it ignores the historical record, and is simply plain disgusting.

And as much as I like Alvin, his blogpost feeds off into that scapegoat narrative in a very ugly way.

8. gaylib says:

and if you don't believe there's a meme developing, check this headline out

"Gay conservatives target Democrats in ad campaign"

"http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/10/25/gay.conservative.ad/index.html?hpt=T1

People outside of our community do not know that GOProud is a fringe group. All they see is Gay and "against democrats". When they lose big, they'll have a ready made scapegoat. And McEwan's whiny rant contributes to that meme. He should be ashamed.

9. Neil says:

Though I might disagree with Mr McEwen on this matter and occasional others, I respect his blog and find his writing informative and interesting. For the most part I reckon he gives great insight. I see no place here for the personal attacks against this writer.