What’s "Too Gay" Today? – Prop 8 Being Struck Down Of Course! – WATCH: Winning Lawyer Ted Olsen’s Video Statement and REACTIONS FROM Cyndi Lauper, Kim Kardashian, Ellen DeGeneres, Adam Lambert, Armistead Maupin, Zachary Quinto, Kathy Griffin. Nancy Pelosi AND MORE!
*Today on a very special episode of What’s “Too Gay” I am going to post reactions from people who actually give a damn about us and the wonderful ruling tfrom Judge Vaughn Walker striking down Prop 8. (So there will be NO hate groups in this post and NO Gay Inc Groups reactions from the likes of HRC, Equality California, NGLTF, or others who now praise this court case but originally did everything they could to stop it. We DO Remember.)
So let’s celebrate!
* Cyndi Lauper: “Gay and lesbian couples have long struggled for acceptance and the ability to marry the person they love and want to build a family with. Today’s landmark ruling declaring Proposition 8 unconstitutional is a testament to the fundamentals on which this great country was built and validates that the discrimination gay couples face must come to an end. We as a society should be embracing these couples and helping them make the lifelong commitment to each other that many of us straight people take for granted each and every day. This decision is a major step in the right direction towards equality.
“Gay and lesbian couples have long struggled for acceptance and the ability to marry the person they love and want to build a family with. Today’s landmark ruling declaring Proposition 8 unconstitutional is a testament to the fundamentals on which this great country was built and validates that the discrimination gay couples face must come to an end. We as a society should be embracing these couples and helping them make the lifelong commitment to each other that many of us straight people take for granted each and every day. This decision is a major step in the right direction towards equality.
* Kim Kardashian via Twitter: Prop 8 was struck down! This news is amazing!!!! Its about time! Congrats to everyone!
* Ellen DeGeneres: Today, California’s Proposition 8 was declared unconstitutional. When Prop 8 was passed two years ago, I said, “One day we will look back and realize how wrong this is.” Now, we’ve made a huge step forward. In today’s ruling, the court stated that Prop 8 “fails to advance any rational basis” for denying the right to marry, and the court is right. We’re all equal, and we should all have equal rights. I’m so grateful for today’s decision.
*Read MUCH more after the jump! – Kathy Griffin, Wil Wheaton, Christina Applegate, Michael Ian Black, Adam Lambert, Zachary Quinto, Shanna Moakler, Nancy Pelosi, more reactions and WATCH OUR HERO: Ted Olson’s Video Statement after the verdict!
* Wil Wheaton: via Twitter: Congratulations to all my friends who can now get married again. It’s disgraceful that there’s even a question about your rights.
* Michael Ian Black: via Twitter: Finally I have somebody to blame for my disintegrating marriage. Thanks, gays! – How the hell am I going to explain to my wife about that dude I married? “I thought it didn’t count” won’t work now. (Tounge -in-cheek funny or just an idiot? Your call there)
* Christina Applegate: via Twitter: I am crying with absolute joy! Thank you thank you thank you for letting equality win. All men are created equal! Period!!!
* Kathy Griffin: “I am, of course, thrilled and heartened by Judge Walker’s ruling. My thoughts and best wishes are with the brave plaintiffs — Kris Perry, Sandy Stier, Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo — on this emotional day. I also applaud the remarkable work of lead attorneys Ted Olson and David Boies; two men who, 10 years after facing off in Bush v. Gore, have teamed up to fight the good fight on behalf of loving California families. As we all know, the antigay movement is certain to appeal this landmark case to the ninth circuit U.S. court of appeals in San Francisco and, ultimately, to the United States Supreme Court in Washington. So, while today’s decision is a key victory in the fight for marriage equality, we still have a long way to go before my mother, Maggie, can break out her box of wine in celebration. I urge my friends and fans to stay strong, be vocal and take strength in the knowledge that we will be on the right side of history.”
Adam Lambert: “We’re gonna throw glitter on this barn tonight!!!”
Zachary Quinto: via Twitter: Dear california: you. better. work. (Oh yeah you’re not Gay. Come out already!)
Shanna Moakler: “This is so much bigger then marriage, it’s about wisdom, compassion and knowing we CAN be heard, action DOES make a difference!”
Armistead Maupin: This battle has always been about love, and love won out today. When I was in law school, I was bored to distraction by the sight of a legal transcript. This one read like sonnet.”
Nancy Pelosi: “I am extremely encouraged by the ruling today, which found that Proposition 8 violated both the due process and equal protection clauses of the U.S. Constitution. Proposition 8 has taken away individual rights and freedoms, and is a stain upon the California Constitution. We must continue to fight against discriminatory marriage amendments and work toward the day when all American families are treated equally.” (Um Nancy. You have the power to take on DOMA you know.
The White House: “The president has spoken out in opposition to Proposition 8 because it is divisive and discriminatory. He will continue to promote equality for LGBT Americans. (Thats it? Meeeh.)