• Uncategorized

Homo Say What? – The National Organization for Marriage: "Gays Were Never Hunted Down and Murdered Like ‘Jews, Christians, and Blacks"

1. Anonymous says:

Or recently, a lifeless human left beside a country road in Polk County, Florida. Outrageous!

2. Steve says:

First let me say that I am in total agreement with you on principle and hesitate to make what may be on the whole a quibble.

I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area during the time of the Moscone-Milk assassinations and watched with horror as the the whole scene unfolded. While Supervisor Harvey Milk's murder was indeed a horrible thing, people seem to forget that Mayor George Moscone was killed, too. In fact, Moscone was killed first, then Milk.

The killings were far more complicated than simply (if simply is not too demeaning a word) an anti-gay action, they were political. Moscone and Milk's killer, Dan White, was also a member of the Board of Supervisors and, in fact, had cooperative and even friendly with Harvey Milk over a period of time, but the relationship soured over a battle over the placement of a group home in White's supervisorial district and over various liberal-conservative clashes (White was the conservative, of course). White also clashed with Supervisor Carol Ruth Silver.

In a fit of pique, White resigned from the Board of Supervisors and then, changing his mind, asked Moscone to reappoint him. When it became obvious that Moscone was not going to reappoint White to the Board, White went off the rails and killed Moscone and Milk.

While there may have been an anti-gay component to White's crime, it seemed obvious to me at the time that the killings were driven by simple revenge and spite.

As an admirer of both men, Harvey Milk and George Moscone, I write this literally on the verge of tears.

3. Anonymous says:

Checked out your post on RP…thanks…you make the terrible history quite clear. The only reason the idiots in the Nat. Org. for Marriage say the things they do is because they think they will never be challenged with the facts.

4. Anonymous says:

I'm a straight guy who reads to the Rude Pundit, and caught your guest blog this week and really liked it. The NOM disinformation is on the same level as holocaust denial or confederacy apologists and needs to be responded to as such.

5. ericviau says:

I'm a straight married guy in the Canadian Army. Sexual orientation is not chosen. I believe that it is wired into your brain at birth. In Canada, I believe that the people are much more tolerant to others sexual orientation. If one of my three boys was gay, I would accept it and not make a big deal about it. You fucking Americans have to wake up and join the rest of the world. You are NOT the center of the universe!

6. Will (Wolf) says:

Hmmmm maybe when we in America have the same rights as those in Canada we could stop making such a big deal about it.

Think about it….

7. Anonymous says:

These people are insane. They are coming to my hometown, Madison, next week. Thank goodness there is a counter-protest being planned. So glad that they use the Bible as a catalyst for their hate. They don't know love, or compassion. As Margaret Cho says, "I want Jesus to come back and say 'That's not what I meant!'" Keep fighting on!

8. LanceThruster says:

I'm glad to have the opportunity to comment here on a piece seen at Rude Pundit (thx for doing the guest hosting).

I find it interesting and hypocritical that fundamentalist often talk about slippery slopes and permissiveness in one area leading to widespread immorality across the board which is supposedly the reason for their hysteria over all things gay, but are virtually silent over another issue condemned in their "sacred" texts.

And that is Nevada's legalized prostitution.

Why no loud and constant calls to morality from their pulpits and throughout the media? Why isn't Nevada surrounded by holy roller prayer teams round the clock to end this? Why aren't they tearing their hair out, claiming that this will bring about the downfall of our nation? Where's the "God hates fags" guy (Phred Phelps) working the entrance of the Bunny Ranch with a bullhorn?

For the record, I support legalized prostitution, and LGBT equal rights. As an atheist I find it ridiculous for people to feel compelled to act as proxies for the gods they clearly don't trust to deliver justice without their help. I make no comparison of prostitution to the lives of LGBT, other than the hyper-religious seem awfully selective in their outrage.

9. The Tim Channel says:

Amsterdam has the Pink Triangle memorial. They must have missed the memo from NOM about there never being attacks on gays. For more on the history of gay repression during the Nazi era, read The story of the Pink Triangles.
    Enjoy.